1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wideout problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Timbercrk1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Having issues with my wideout. Problem started with controler flashing. Now a week later it is having problems with lifting turning. Works normal one minute then the next it will have problems lifting or turning. If I hit the button a couple of times it will eventually work. I cleaned the connections. Still doing it. Any ideas what to do next? manual says it could be the control module? Does this mean I have to replace the whole module? Thank you for your help!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Does the contoller go off? Does the background lighting in the controller go out when it fails? If the light goes off and you have to hit the power on button then your ignition signal wire is not contacting well. The ignition signal wire tees out of the main control harness a few feet back from the controller plug. It is a small red wire that can usually be found under the dash by the steering column or brake pedal. Follow that wire to wherever it connects to the vehicle. Ensure that it has a good connection. I have seen some installers pull a fuse, stick the wire in the socket and then push the fuse back in. Also, while your are looking under the dash, verify the controller is plugged in all the way.

If that is not the problem I would ask my dealer to let you try a new hand held controller before replacing the control module. Not to be confused with the isolation module. The isolation module only affects the lights and is mounted under the hood of the vehicle. The plow control module is located on the plow under the black plastic shrowd (held on with O rings). Late model Westerns are controlled by a multiplex comunication system. That means that all comunications are sent on a single wire between the handheld controller and the reciever / decoder (control module). It's kind of like a radio signal, each function has a unique frequency. This allows them to eliminate all the extra wires the old models had. The point here is that it could be either the signal generator (handheld controller) or the reciever decoder (control module). The hand held controller is much easier to replace so try that first. If that doens't correct the problem I suggest letting the dealer replace the control module. Hope that helps....

3. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

My controller is turning off when i press a fuction (wideout). It turns back on but will usually turn back off. I also noticed that the module under the hood was buzzing while i was having the problem. The part that ticks me off is has only done this twice and evertything (connection wise) seems ok. Any other ideas.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The module under the hood is buzzing!!! That would be the isolation module which has only to do with the headlights?? That is an interesting problem; I would be having a look at the headlight harness. This cable goes from the isolation module to the front of the engine compartment and connects to both the original OEM headlight cables (where is gets headlamp power) and back to the original vehicle headlamps or the plow lamps. I would follow this harness and look for pinches, sometimes during installation this cable can get caught when the lamp assemblies are put back in the truck. I am curious if you have noticed any odd activity in your headlights when the control problem occurs? It sounds to me like it is a short that is causing secondary problems in the controller.

5. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I just get the truck back from my installer who had the truck for a few days. He could not get the plow to act up but he did find a loose ground. He told me that the battery bolt was stripped and the battery cable wouldn't stay tight. I hope that this was the problem. thanks mishnick for all your insight

6. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I was talking to a fellow plower with a wideout and he had the same problem when raising it would turn to the left and his came down to a bad valve when it was machined it had a metal bur that some how got into the system and was the causeing him troubles. He had the western dealer replace the bad valve and hasent had any problems since