1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout/Powerplow vs. V/Straight ???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by emerson, Dec 30, 2009.

1. emerson

emerson Junior Member

I'm relatively new to this. I plow my and my employer's property with a 10' Western straight blade on a medium duty single axle Freightliner. At work all the snow has to go out one gate and the straight blade doesn't carry for ****. For commercial work, aside from highways, is there any reason not to go with a powerplow/wideout type unit? It seems that they would be the most productive and time is money. An 8 1/2' Western straight would cost $6500 installed and a Wideout is $8500 installed.

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite...Try the search button...MANY Threads on this subject...:drinkup:

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

A big V-plow with wings carries the most snow.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed, I prefer v's over anything, but everything has its place.

5. emerson

emerson Junior Member

I thought I needed more posts to search but it worked ok. My reading tells me that powerplow/wideout style plows add 10-50% productivity, even over V's. V's will technically carry more, but unless the snow is very deep already or very long carries are the most important part of your business, the ability to go wide and still not loose snow off the forward edge allows the power/wideouts to be more productive. Manual removable wings help out the V's, but they can be added to the powerplow clones too. V's bust drifts the best, but again, that has to be a large part of your business to make V's your best money makers. Time is money.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I will never use anything but a V