1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout or Western V?? Which will contain more snow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stackmaster, Nov 1, 2009.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Ok, last question!!! Honest!!!!
    Have a Condo site where snow needs to be piled in designated areas. Which plow would CONTAIN and move snow across a lot the best????? Would love to hear from guys with the Wideout who have also run Vs.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh boy, not this again. Most agree that they are similar. But if you put wings on a Vee, no contest. Vee hands down.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto... We have two 8.5 ft Vee's with wings. I also have an 8.5 ft Pro Plus with wings. Tough to beat the versatility of the Vee if you really wanna carry some snow.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

In standard off the shelf condition the Wideout will move more snow than a 9 ft V plow. I have both. And I have added wings to Both.

5. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I didnt realize you could add wings to the wideout

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

he has a blizzard, not a wideout. If you are doing parking lots wideout hands down. I you are doing long drives or country roads V for breaking through drifts. Both have there place, both are great plows, although I would choose Blizzard or fisher before the western.

7. Premier

Premier Senior Member

the wideout but i would buy a blizzard before i bought a western wideout.

8. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I'm asking (hijacking), so don't kill me, I don't know, thats why I am asking. How can you say you would choose a fisher or blizzard over a western when they are all owned by DD and Fisher and Western are almost exactly the same the main difference would be the paint color and a couple minor things? Just curious.

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

because there is a lot more different between the wideout and the blizzard than the paint....

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The Western rep at the SIMA symposium told me that a Wideout will carry 40% more snow than a 8'6" MVP with wings.

I don't believe it but that's what he told me.

11. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Ok... I can see that. But between Fisher and Western???

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I haven't ever owned a V, but I do have subs with them, and have plowed along side them plenty.....My wideout will carry more snow than a 8.5 ft V, and seems to carry just a little more than a 9fter, but its close.....where it blows them away at carrying abilities is being able to angle with it in scoop and carry around curves. None of them run wings on ther V's, so I can't comment about that.....but obviously windrowing is superior with the wideout,XLS,blizzard plows.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with you. There is no way a Wideout will carry 40% more snow. A MVP with wings is 6" wider then the wideout.

14. lilweeds

The reason??? Simple, more weight on the cutting edge with the blizzard, better attack angle, and then look at the slide boxes on the blizzard vs the other 2. The reason I say the Fisher over the western is almost the same the weight on the cutting edge for whatever reason is higher. This was tested in the first year they came out with scale by two guys who wanted to put a real winter test on the plow. The western for on reason or another doesn't seem to roll the snow as well. There is a video on youtube showing it piling up instead of rolling it ahead.

That is also the reason the expandables hold more snow then even a V. The area in V with wings may be a bit greater, but because of the harsh shape of the V it won't roll the snow forward as much, thus diminishing carrying capacity.

V's do have there place which is why I always ask what one is plowing first. Some also say the V's stack a bit better, which I can see, but I don't a real experience in that. Nothing can stacks like a wheel loader or skid steer.

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A 8.5ft mvp is 9.5ft wide in scoop w/wings?....I know the wideout is 9 ft in scoop.

definitely agree with you on this

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The wideout is 9' wide in scoop, but in scoop the blade is straight and the wings are curved in. A 8'6" MVP straight is 8'6" and then the wings curved in is 9'6'. This way they both are in the same configuration.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Ahh...I see what your saying.

18. lilweeds

It was two long time plowers who took both blades in the snow belt and pushed 35+ inches of snow with these blades and gave them their honest feedback for all to see. And no, the fisher and western are close, but not the same setups.

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Kinda what I thought....:rolleyes:

20. lilweeds

Would you rather have 2 guys testing these plows in a record breaking snow year give their honst feedback, or some rep from the company tell you what it does. Sorry, giving the original poster the opinions of mine on what will work. Me, I would only mount a Blizzard on my truck, preferably the older ones.