1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout or PowerPlow? & why?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GMSNOW, Mar 12, 2011.

1. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I am looking to buy a new truck and plow for next season. I have the Blizzard PP now. I have had western straight blades in the past and liked them. But I knew the PP would provide me greater producivity - and it has. The wideout was on its 1st year on the market when I bought my PP. Always affraid of those 1st year models.

What is the word on the wideout know it has been out for a few seasons?

Thx
    GMSNOW

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have a fisher xls aka pp/wideout. And I am big western fan and was going to go with the wideout,but I like the trip edge design more then the full trip and that is why I went with the xls. Now I think the pp is built stronger then the wo or xls and if I was going to go with a full trip I would go with the pp. The only thing I don't like about it is how it looks like a rust bucket after a season or two. Other then that they r great. I really like my xls and has been veryreliable this whole season.no issues with it at all and I assembled and installed it myself. First plow install I have evr done. I know a guy that has ran wo for 3 yrs and no problems at all except for he broke a hydro hose.other then that he has nothing to complain about. The only thing is I wish they would make the fisher and western version moldboards as hd as the blizzard. Not saying I don't plow hard and it has passed with fying colors but if u look at them besides each other u can se the differnce. Hope this helped out.

3. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

My PP was rusting the day I picked up from the shop. How is the paint job on the Fischer XLS?

4. Burkartsplow

It is holding up great. I fluid film it throughout the season and clean it up after storms and store it inside. Once I know the season is over she will get a nice bath, some touch up paint in a few spots, and dipped in fluid film and tucked away. No signs of any rust except on the cutting edge but that is normal.

5. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

ive been looking into the expanding plows and love them and looking to get one this summer (most likly getting xls) the only think i dont realy like about fisher/western/myers is the chain lift it letts the bplow just bounce around while driving beating the **** out of your frame

6. Burkartsplow

I have ran chain lift plows my whole life and if you drive like a crazy man then it is going to bounce around, but if you take your time then you should not have an issue with the plow bouncing. The saying is "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". The plow weighs so much that it will not bounce driving the speed limit.

7. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I am ending my second season with my Wideout and I also use Fluid Film thru the season and washed and coated and stored inside and it looks as good as the Day I bought it, You Cant go wrong

8. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

The one thing I do like about the chain lift is if you do breakdown and loose power all you have to do is drive the plow into a pile of snow rehook the chains and off to the shop you go. The PP you do the same but then you have to crawl under the plow and hope you can find where you need to put in the pin to hold the plow up. Usually that areas is barried with snow and a pain to dig out.

GMSNOW

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am also considering an expanding plow for the next truck I by. I have always run westerns and I do like the chain lift. If you know you are going down a rough road lift eh balde until it hits the stops it can't bounce now. Also i think the blizzards need electrical power to hook it up. Nothing wrong with it but I like mechanical stuff, easier for me to diagnose. However I have never owned a blizzard so I can't don't know a lot about them.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

11. 94chevy2500

your roads must be pritty smooth for my plow not to bounce i would have to drive 5 mph everywhere the chain lift has riped my frame apart theres no way i could drive the speed limit without the plow bouncing.

12. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

Are you using some weight in the very back of your pickup?
    Just wondering because if your really front end heavy you will get a lot of bounce without any weight back there.
    If you use about 3 or 4 hundred pounds in the back of your pickup against the tailgate it should not be bouncing all around.
    Just a thought.

13. 94chevy2500

i have a 2 yard sander in the back so i have the weight more than most people have its from all he pot holes around me some a foot deep! it looks like every one is drunk trying to avoid them

14. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

You have yourself a county road problem and not a plow or truck problem. LOL's
    Man, that has to be really hard not only on your truck and equipment, but your body bouncing all around all day & night long!!