1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wideout or mvp

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by AndysLawnCare, Feb 3, 2012.

1. AndysLawnCare

AndysLawnCare Junior Member

Hey guys having a hard time deciding on a wideout or a mvp? What do you all think?
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 9.6 MVP and to me There is no other blade I would plow with I had used straight plows with wing and still own 2
    There more you can do with a Vplow
    If you ever try bust drifts with straight plow you should know doesnt work well V plow takes less time
    A wideout does best job in big areas People say well hold more snow then a V plow Thats true but put set wings on the MVP then it could be a draw
    You going have pick on what plow works for you
  3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Andy. I have both 9.6 and wideout. I think the wide out is far Superior unit. I bought the 9.6 this year and wish i spent the extra and got another wideout!!!! now I need to get wings for the 9.6 cause windrowing is far better with wings. In 12yrs I have never needed a V blade to bust through a so called drift, even if so how many times a yr will you actually need to bust through drifts?? I also find the wideout is way faster. I got a V for my smaller lots as carrying material was needed, but being able to angle in scoop with the wideout to carry is awesome. I guess you need to decide whats best for you. Put wings on a V and you have boths plows in one unit minus the angling while in scoop.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have both but the fisher line and the xls is more productive then the v plow.
  5. Antlerart06

What you mean minus the angle in scoop If you run the Vplow in straight mode with wings on be same has Scoop mode on a wideout and you can angle even go half scoop mode and still angle to left or right
    With a V plow you can put in what I call the L mode I do this in parking lots with cars in the lanes and the L mode you can windrow and semi scoop at same time

The OP need look what he has for jobs and pick what will work the best
  6. 03sd

03sd Member

I have never plowed with a wideout so I cant say much there, I love my mvp ill never go back to a straight blade.
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I like to keep a V plow in the fleet b/c they're more versatile in tighter spaces, but anyone that thinks an expandable power plow isn't more efficiant has never used one. Not to mention they clean much better. Plus the ability to scoop and angle at the same time is HUGE. No comparison. L or not with an MVP, you won't get it till you experience it. That feature really starts to shine when you get into a lot with cars in a few spots. You wouldn't think so, but little stuff like not having to reposition the truck to cut in closer really saves time and headaches. I had 3 MVP's on 3 trucks in my fleet for years.......I have more seat time behind an MVP than you could imagine.

As was stated though, get what will benefit you and your lots.
  8. AndysLawnCare

AndysLawnCare Junior Member

Ok i gotcha guys, i've used the wideout before on a friends truck and got to say its awesome. I've got on my truck a boss 8.5 V. And i hate it just a pain in the a@# when it comes to changing the angle. I heard on the MVP you just have to move the left or right to angle it, sounds like a lot of time saved. Also whats the difference between poly and steel V's? Thanks Andy
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Poly's are a bit heavier, roll snow a bit better, and are typically a bit less prone to rust. As for the MVP, you won't like it any more than your Boss. The controller is nicer with the one touch scoop and v, but other than that it's no different. Trip edges are nicer though, but I'll bet that Boss cleans better than a new Western.
  10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

on the current model MVP+ the only difference between the poly and steel is the skin itself. you can even change the skins down the road if you want to. Poly costs more, you don't have to worry about big rust spots after a few years, the snow doesn't stick as easily, and the steel is about 30 lbs heavier. That's basically it.

the MVP+ is still the model we sell the most of. The Wide-out takes a heavier truck. Most people with a fleet would still say they need at least one V-plow even if they use mostly Wide-outs.
  11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

and yes, with the MVP+ control and the double acting cylinders, angling works just like a straight blade.
  12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

YES SIR I made fun of your busting through drifts... are you happy now that you got me back for the scoop thing idiot
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

If the bulk of your work is lots, get the wide out. If you do a ton of deep drifted over country drives, get a MVP+.

The WideOut is stupid fast for parking lots. The MVP will let you break the deepest snow.
  14. Antlerart06

Wow I must got under your skin sorry
    I just wanted make sure OP Knew true facts is all
    Heard the Wideouts is having welding problems
    My MVP I bought new in 09 I have not had one problem with it

Andy I know what you mean on the Boss I have Boss V plow its a pain you can t realy control one wing like I can with the MVP
    The only reason I have boss V plow It was a Package Deal Came with the truck When I bought truck new I always let someone else run it I ran my Straight plow with my sideboards on it
    Then 09 got that MVP Thats a plow
    I might down road buy a wideout when they get bugs work out on the welds But I'll always use my MVP
  15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

THe Wideout isn't having a problem with welds, the ENTIRE DD line is.

If you had a straight blade, I could see wanting to decide between the two. To me, I just don't understand going to buy a brand new plow when you have a different brand of pretty much the exact same thing. Trust me, Western isn't worth making the change just to get a better controller. And I'm a Western guy.
  16. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Wings on the MVP will let you scoop and angle at the same time.
  17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Truth. :salute:
  18. big_stroker

big_stroker Senior Member

Western needs to make a MVP Wideout... A MVP with the wideout wings all controlled from the cab.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Baaaaaaaahahahahahaha. Dennis you're nuts LMAO

But you're right LOLOLOL