1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout or Boss 9'2" poly v?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NLS1, Jul 29, 2007.

1. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Does anyone have a western wideout or Boss 9'2" v plow on a '06 CTD Dodge 2500/3500? How does it do with all the weight in front, springs ok? I love the Boss on my Ford, but am keeping an open mind for the Dodge. Will ballast weight be enough or will I need to add leveling kit or Timbrens, etc? Thanks for any input from those with those set ups.
    :help:

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I've got a 9' 2" on a Dodge diesel 3500 single rear wheel and it handles the weight just fine. I'm not sure if any sort of ballast is necessary but I usually have about 400lbs of salt in the back and that levels things out nicely.

3. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Thanks Camden, I will probably just stick with another Boss v then, keep everything interchangable, I will no doubt have a bunch of salt or sand in the back, can't wait to push snow with that monster, I bet you love yours huh?:redbounce

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I just checked on both Boss and Western Websites to see what is the biggest plow your truck will take. Western both the 2500 and 3500 the biggest plow is the 8' 6" pro straight blade. Boss i think was the 8' ( i don't remember) That is with the diesel. With the gas you can put the wideout and the 9' 6" Boss V on the 2500 and the 3500. The Boss v weighs 838# plus the mount. I cant find the wideout on the western site but i think it weighs almost 1000# with the mount. When I checked your truck i typed in both 2500 and 3500, reg. cab and Quad cab, and 6'5" box. I don't know what kind of truck you have. Check out the websites for info. i guess you can put those plows on with timbrens or a leveling kit but i don't know if i would. It could be risky. Good luck

5. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Thanks Quality SR

I appreciate you doing the leg work, I have used the quickmatch stuff too, and it seems that I may have to take what they recommend with a grain of salt. Thanks:)

6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

No problem. Ya i wouldn't you know. Is the truck still under warrantee? Boss and Western knows what is good for the truck. I would go by what they say. If it was an older truck i wouldn't be too worried, i would just timbrens or a leveling kit, but a newer truck. Not me :nono: Good luck Rich

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I own a 05 Quad Cab Cummins truck with a Blizzard 810 on the front. 2 seasons of plowing. No problems yet. I did put on a Kore HD leveling kit last season. Worked out great.
    The timbrens would be a good idea for any plow truck short of an older F350.
    The Dodge front ends are built as solid (or better) as anything on the market.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest thing is Ballast! I carry about 800-900 pounds in the back and i'm good to go. That truck, either would be fine, but im partial to Boss!:) So grab the 9'2" V!

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: I agree..

The Dodge will handle ether plow just fine.
    I would recommend using ballast in all plow trucks.

A leveling kit...Another solution is to up-fit to a heaver spring in front.
    (if you do not have the diesel)
    I know this sounds like a lot of work but actually it is just as easy to install the leveling kit as it is to put heaver springs on her. This will also level out your truck while adding some travel to your suspension that a leveling kit can't
    Timbrens are always a good idea also.

Go for the BOSS

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Scary, we agree again. :jester:

I'd stick with the Boss as well, not enough real world testing been done with the Wideout, IMO.

11. T-MAN

I should ad the Kore leveling kit includes springs, there HD for sure. No spacers for the 1.5" lift. They level the truck and handle the 810 very well, with out the 89 F350 ride. The timbrens are needed for stacking. The Erie special stacks like no tommorow. Timbren does make an extended set for the 1.5" lift. I did not use Timbrens last season but they are on the to do list with a million other things.

I agree on the boss as well, the wideout will definately have some issues in its first season.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Anyone see Rod Sterling standing in the shadows..:confused: :confused:

Someone note this day! The three of us agree on something.:jester:
    When I heard Kit, I thought of those spacers.
    Springs are the way to go.
    Backed up by timbrens is a good combo for heavy plows.

As you know this (springs) has been discussed before.
    If you want to know all about your spring options just do a search and then go get a cold one or two.
    Lots of info.:dizzy:

Latter,
    Time to start the BBQ.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Come on, it's just a blizzard painted red. How can there be any issues besides the paint peeling off to revel the Blizzard white? :jester:

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Actually, they are very different.

15. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

I would be hesitant to purchase any first your product from western or fisher after what happened last year with the Tornado/Polycaster.

It is rather obvious to me that there was minimal testing performed on those units.

16. T-MAN

Like John mentioned, not much in common.
    The Wideout is a Western design 100%.
    The only thing the same is the "Concept" of movable wings.
    When Mark O and I were at the Sima Syposium we got to take a good look see at both the Western Wideout, and the Fisher XLS. I wouldnt put much faith in either design.

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

As a Design Engineer for a large equipment manufacturer, I can say that the designs appear a bit chinsy, and I also agree that there appears to have been minimal testing done. That said, there is a lot of new technology, and sometimes designs can be made stronger without making them heavier...

Only time will tell.....

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sound like instead of a Western wide out, he should buy a real Blizzard while they're still available.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Now who would say such a thing as that?

JohnnyU, I don't claim to be an engineer, but having plowed for a couple seasons, IMO the only way to keep things strong in this application is with bulk. But I'm just the idiot that has to get the dumb thing fixed in the middle of the night during a blizzard when somebody's weight savings attempt fails miserably.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Someone who wonders why DD would keep a third brand in play.

Fisher and Western chase two different markets, Blizzard would just steal sales from both.

It doesn't make good financial sense to certify, manufacture, market, distribute, and insure a third brand. Not when they have the technology incorporated into their other product lines. And the wide-out technology is the only innovative sales point Blizzard has. Snowplows are such a small part of what DD does that I have to think the bean counters will prevail.

Just My Opinion.