1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout or 8.5 w wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SalNazzaro, Feb 13, 2011.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Well I've been searching all morning, I'm either getting an 8.5 pro plus and putting my wings on it or a wideout. People are telling me simpler is better. Also I heard that the wideout isn't a true 8'-10' that its actually shy of that/ Any info would be great thank you

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get the wideout. The wings made by western tend to break like they are made to when u hit something with them and plus all u have to do is press a button and you have instant wings. No more having to get out of the truck and put them on and then off. It may be an inch short of an 810, but that is not going to make a difference. The time you save with these plows far outweighs having a couple more moving parts. Take care of it properly and it will take care of you. Plus you can get great deals on all plows right now, so might as well get a more productive plow for cheap.

3. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea makes sense I guess. My pro plus wings have held up great I just hate the chatter they make. Wideout is the way I'm going I think.

4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

Another vote for the wideout. In my area they are ticketing for having wings, so being able to retract them in saves time and money.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have build a dozen wide-outs this year and have had a few problems with them. The concept is awsome but they are more complicated. Actually they are pretty much exactly the same valve body as the MVP plus so there is lots more to go wrong. They have six solenoid controlled valves as opposed to the three in the straight blade so when something goes wrong it's much more difficult to sort out. I am planning to buy a wide-out myself but I will go over it with a fine tooth comb and build it myself. You MUST have is assembled and installed by a reputable dealer!!! Anybody can build a straight blade but the wide-out needs an expert. Something as simple as two little brass check valves that must be installed under the wing extend fittings on the valve body assembly before the hoses are put on can cause it to "self distruct" the first time you use it! Several operators I know built their own and left them out, didn't even notice them in the package and didn't feel they needed to read the instructions. This was a costly mistake. And mixing up the hoses to the wings is another deadly error. Another problem is when the pressure relief valves are not set correctly at the factory, this can cause the ram anchor in the middle of the blade to bend back and forth breaking the weld in the middle of the blade! Don't get me wrong, the wide-out is a great plow but they need more expert insight than the others. READ the manual from cover to cover and get it built by a western expert!!!!

6. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ok now I just want a simple straight blade lol. I always get worried I'm going to be stranded by a broken plow. The wideout is an awesome idea but I think I'm just sticking w the 8.5 I ordered. Thanks for the info.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Your posts are always good for a chuckle. :laughing:

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

X2 I am no expert,but I put together my plows this year and I have had no problems this whole season. Any person that can read directions is mechanically inclined can put together a plow these days. Why pay $400 to $500 to have some "professional installer" to put together somthing that comes 60% put together. Don't let this guy deter you from getting a wideout. Maybe he is having all these problems with the wideout this year because he not that good of an installer? Maybe he should point some fingers at himself instead of at the plow itself? Have a great Sunday.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Well you sure sorted me out! Perhaps I am the cause of all the problems? Sorry for that! My point was that they are not as simple as a straight blade. You might have read that I said I would buy one myself, I wouldn't if I thought they were a bad plow. My point is that statistically they have significantly more problems when operators(and pros) build them than straight blades do. Of course if you are mechanically skilled and are willing & capable of reading and understanding the assembly instructions then go for it. I myself ended up becoming the Western guy at my shop because we were having too many problems with unskilled technicians. To a rocket scientist building a rocket engine is simple but I certainly wouldn't sit in one that I built myself because I am not an expert in that field and I know it! I know my limitations and my strengths. Every operator should know their own limitations. Sounds like one of your strengths is in the ego department maybe? If you were a customer I would expect you to be back complaining what a POS the plow is and how bad the instructions are after refusing any advice and doing it yourself. Decisions like this, do it yourself or have it done, are the ones that make or break a good business person. If you are a better operator than mechanic / welder / hydraulics / electronics person then if you live four hours drive from the dealer perhaps a simpler plow is a better fit. it's all just insight from someone who sees dozens of plows, sanders and operators every day through the winter season. But of course you know better.