1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wideout on ram 2500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chucksorce, Dec 5, 2012.

1. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

Ok people looking for some advice here, first off i have a 06 dodge ram 2500 qcsb auto trans w/ cummins front leveling kit 295 tires. Ok with that said i currently have a 7 1/2 ultramount pro plow on it, thinking about upgrading to a wideout. I have a chance to purchase a unit that was purchased last year and mounted but never used, here are the questions / concerns i have. How will my truck handle the weight of this beast, will i be constantly be replacing front end parts ect??. Will my current light harness work on the new plow keeping in mind i plow for a management co how much do you think i should ask for per hr with wideout in northern NJ. Keep in mind i like my truck other than plowing its not a work truck (i dont want to kill it), i would like to hear your thoughts especally if your running the same setup Thanks

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Dodge wearable parts are pretty stout in comparison to the other brands. It should hold it just fine, but I'd recommend a set of super coils. I found my last set for just over $200. They make a world of difference with my PH1 Blizzards. I'd say try it and see what you think. You will definately love the plow. Nothing beats an expandable wing plow IMHO. I moved up from V's a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You have air bags on the front??
    That plow might be to much for your Ram

4. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

No airbags just leveling spacer, i realize im probably at least going to have to install timbrens

5. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

also i should mention i dont want the truck to ride like a tank with the plow off

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to verify that Western recommends mounting the wide-out on that model truck. And be aware that the Dodge ram with diesel is the WORST truck side install you will ever do:realmad: The way the bumber mounts and the position of the intercooler make it a horrible thing to install. Can be done and works fine when complete but not something to try if you are not calm, patient and competent with mechanical work.

As far as destroying you truck, that depends on you entirely. Plowing snow is "an intentional collision" every time you use it so no matter how careful you are there is a curb with your name on it somewhere. You WILL hit something and the truck will take some wear and tear that it would not endure without the plow. That being said, if you drive it yourself (don't give it to an employee who doesn't care about it) and you are OK with driving slow while plowing then it will last a long time. Also understand that your diesel engine will produce a lot of torque so if you push it that truck has the power to twist itself apart.

As far as price goes, that depends on where you are. Here in Calgary a Wide-out, installed is around $8,000 but I have heard of them being as low as $6000. You will need a headlight harness ($200), unless both trucks have the same headlight system, so subtract that from the price. But if it has never been used I would think you would pay local price minus at least a thousand. It's going to cost you $500 to $1000 to have it installed too so consider that. I would also call your nearest Western dealer and see if they will honor the warranty if you transfer ownership. I believe warranty is two seasons so it should have one more winter of coverage.

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I have the exact same truck and ran one on mine for two years with no problems at all. Its completely stock

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Mishnick he won't have to do a complete truckside install, he already has an Ultramount on the truck.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

He is going to have to swap some wiring though as I am sure he is running 3 plug system for his straight blade

10. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

OMG.... The drama. :rolleyes:

11. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

12. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I agree, I put a set of super coils on mine and my truck went from sagging 1.5'' to 1/2" and also doubled as a 2.5'' leveling kit. Ride didn't change much and install was pretty straight forward but a second set of hands helped a lot.

13. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Your right. If he already has a 3 plug ultramount then he only needs to change the controller and controller harness. I have a gas Ram 2500 and it handles my 8 foot Fisher H D straight blade with no problem.

14. cubicinches

And the truck side battery cable...

15. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You could just add the truck side battery cable, controle cable and controller but leave the old stuff so you can run both. But you would need to splice the wires at the headlight harness plug.

16. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

The truck side battery cable and headlight harness shouldn't need to be changed or modified. Just the controller and controller harness need be changed.

17. cubicinches

Truck side battery cable is different on a multiplex system than on a three plug straight blade. It has two small pins in the center of it which send signal to the plow module. That's why there's no third plug on a multiplex stystem... the control functions go through the battery cable. :nod: