1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout On A 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by F350plowing, Aug 28, 2012.

1. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

Has anyone done this yet? Just wondering
  2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i dont think anyones dumb enough to put 1000 pounds on the front of theyre half ton truck... sounds like it would have catastrpohic results
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

X2. Definitely a bad idea.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The closest thing to a wide-out you are going to find recommended for a 1/2 ton is the snoway 26R

There's bound to be someone somewhere who has done it but it doubt he'd fess up to the catastrophic result.:D

Some of the older (pre 1998) trucks might have the capacity or are capable of being upgraded to met the requirements but unless the truck had a 5K axle or better I would consider changing wheel bearings and a few other choice parts.
  5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

just to stir the pot....also these are on the solid front axle chevy trucks, not the newer ones, i definately would not put a big plow on a newer half ton, they just arent made for it and it would rip them apart.

1/2 ton chevy front axle options are..... dana 44 or corprate 10 bolt...

3/4 ton chevy front axle options are.... duh duh duuuhhhh..... dana 44 or corp 10 bolt. even most 1 tons dont have dana 60s.

now, they may have heavier leaf springs. but the axles themselves are the same. sure one may have 6 lugs and the other 8, but the axle shaft is the same, just different lug counts on the outer shaft.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We had a customer insist that we put an 8' Diamond on his 1/2 ton....needless to say it was not good at all. End result? He bought another truck that could handle the plow
  7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

not all half ton's are the same, so that's a little too broad of a question to really make sense. we've had some that we had to add Daystars to even to handle an HTS. Couldn't even unhook the plow without them.

If you really have a particular half ton truck in mind (make, year, cab, box, engine, FGAWR) we can give a better idea about how much too heavy a wide-out will be. For instance, I just punched in a 98 chevy 1500 with a std cab and long box and 4.3L, and it comes up being ok for up to an 8' Pro Plow. A wide-out will still be too heavy for it, but that's as not as big of a stretch as some other half tons. Another example: 2011 and 2012 F150's are not supposed to have ANY plow put on them, not even a Suburbanite.
  8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

The other various support systems of the vehicle probably will not keep up, aside from just the front end. The suspension, steering,Tires, drivetrain (TRANNY, big one), oil coolers, tranny coolers, Power Steering coolers, if in place at all, will most likely be all much different classes, of products.

I've upgraded every single plow truck i've ever owned, for plowing duty, and that includes 3/4, 1 ton, and 550 series vehicles, with a bunch of what I consider "Smart to do" essentials. A 1/2 ton with a wideout, is starting way way behind the 8-ball.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

if you do it, please post pics of it in action
  10. F350plowing

Thats what I thought. I wanted to see what happened to it :laughing:

I will never own a half ton
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh, don't pigeon hole yourself with a statement like that....
  12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

The last part of your statement isn't true. Go to Sno-way's website. They are the only plow manufacturer approved by Ford MOCO to put a plow on a new half-ton.
  13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ok, I should have said any WESTERN plow. I assumed since we were in the Western section of the forum and talking about Wideouts, that was a given. Besides, I was obviously trying to illustrate the possible differences among the many different 1/2 ton trucks. And thirdly, I said 2011 and 2012, not the new 2013 F150. Western will be able to put a plow on some of them, but the last word from Western is 'It is our understanding that the
    2011 and 2012 model year F-150 trucks will remain not approved for snowplow application.'

That was due to Ford's Q200 SVE bulletin which stated:

Models Affected: All 2011 F-150 vehicles.
    Snow Plow Prep Package is no longer an available option on F-150 starting with 2011 model
    year (refer to SSM# 069-2010-2026). F-150 vehicles with 5.0L and 3.7L engines have Electric
    Power Assisted Steering (EPAS). EPAS places high transient load on the electric power system
    which was designed and sized to handle this requirement. Charging system performance may
    be affected if snow plow equipment is installed on a vehicle with EPAS, resulting in temporary
    function loss of some electrical features. F-150 vehicles with 6.2L engine are only available in
    Crew Cab body configuration. Previous model year F-150 Snow Plow Prep Package required
    Heavy Duty Payload package and associated content, and is restricted from Crew Cab.
    If you have any questions, please contact the Ford Truck Body Builders Advisory Service as
    shown in the header of this bulletin.
  14. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I actually know a guy with a wide out on his 1500 chevy.. havent seen it on there yet tho. he bought the truck with it already installed.. All i can picture is his front end dragging! lol
  15. F350plowing

. What year is the truck?
  16. Holland

Holland Senior Member

08 i think.
  17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I can't wait to see that pic!
  18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I'll see what i can do, im sure he'll be running around with it this year. :dizzy:
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

.....in the bed maybe.
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That would be good counterweight....