1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout on '09 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dodge98, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Dodge98

Dodge98 Junior Member

I'm considering putting a wideout on my 2009 GMC 2500HD. It's the 6.0 V8 regular cab and has the 4800lb front axle. Western says I can put it on there with only something like 640 lbs of ballast in the back. Does anyone have this set up? Have you done any work to the front end to beef it up like timberens or just crank the torsion bars? How is the ground clearence? Any feed back or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

A buddy of mine has a 3500 with a mvp and he has to crank his torsion bars up other wise when he raises the plow he has very little clearence with it and the wideout is heavier so i guess i use a lot of ballast and i would crank the torsion bars. chevy just dont hold the weight hanging off the front end very well IMO!

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

don't do it. that truck will have 2 inches of clearance under the mount with the plow up. cranking the torsions up will ruin the front end even if you recamber the tires.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

That why they recommend weight in the bed to keep the truck level

5. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

The Timbrens keep the front end up, cranking the T-bars helps raise the spring rate, I would do both and add the amount of weight "I" think is needed in the back of the bed. Nothing to worry about, enjoy it! You will not bottom out or squat that bad in the front, the Timbrens are very stiff and will hold that front end up!

It is a heavy blade, with the mount you are just a hair over 1000lbs, still less then a 9'2 V-plow though, it will take it ok.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not less that a 9'2" V Plow. A 9' 2" V plow is 852 less the mount. A WideOut is 955. A 9' 5" MVP is 1005 in the steel variant.

7. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

I have several customers that have this setup.No problems at all just use timbrens and ballast.Crank the bars up.Even the Fords and Dodges we have done need the same (timbrens and ballast).I have one on my own 2500hd with a duramax with no problems, go for it.

8. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Timbrens on a Ford or Dodge...eh. Ballast...absolutely.

9. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

We put just as many Timbrens in Fords and Dodges as the Gm trucks!

10. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Okay, that's great.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

do they make make Timbrens for the Super Duty, if so why?

the wideout is one heavy plow, not saying it cant be done

WEATHER 12-21 009.JPG

WEATHER 12-21 015.JPG

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Only thing I would ever bag would be a Super Duty with an 8611LP hanging off the front.

13. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Look up Got-H20....

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have fisher xls on my 2500hd and it is heavier then the wideout and handles the weight fine. I have some steep ramps I do and no clearance issues at all.

15. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

we have a wideout on a 2500HD with plow pkg and it was terriable before we cranked the torsion bars. I cranked them enough to bring the nose level with the rear when sititng empty, then with the plow on and salt in the bed it runs great. i would not consider doing it without timberends or cranking the front torsion bars though. the smallest incline or decline and the plow mount was dragging ground. Now I can jump curbs to plow sidewalks and stuff with no dragging. Also in terms of ballast in the back, absolutly on any truck. Not only helps with traction but makes it drive better on the slushy/snowy roads. my f350 super duty has 1,000 lbs ballast and the chevy we normally run with about 700lbs +/- depending on how much salt is on it.

16. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Ah, I see I said 9'2, I meant 9'6, so used to talking about Boss not Western. So again the Wideout is lighter then the 9'6 V-blade.

Lawnman, of course the truck was horrible stock, that is a ton of weight to hang off the truck without setting it up to take it, cranking bars, Timbrens, and ballast are a must, there is simply no way around it.

Looking forward to pictures...