1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout major issues... anyone else?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by atclarkson, Nov 22, 2009.

1. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

Posting for a friend:

Anyone have issues with the Wideout?

His is f***ed for lack of a better word. A wing fell off going down the road, nearly hit a car.
    Now he's having hydraulic issues.

He's going to yell at the dealer tomorrow, this plow is only a year old. Shouldn't be having these problems. It's on a Superduty.

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

OK ????

Let's see some pictures.

Need more info?
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Screaming at the dealer isnt going to do anything other than piss off the dealer.
  4. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

I'm sure he's gonna start off calm lol... only crazies start off thru the door losing it.

And I'll see if he has pics.... gerald??
  5. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

well, no pics, but after about 2-3 weeks of BS at the dealer, they ended up warrantying both wings. First they told him it was abuse, but I don't know how you could abuse a plow enough in one season to blow two wings off....esp when all the welds were going to hell. The dealer told him that it was safe enough for the road, but when he said I'm gonna bring it to the MTO and see what they think, I think they changed their minds real quick. Regardless, its back pushing,
  6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What was the hydraulic issue. Not sure if you've seen my thread on my XLS, but I am experiencing some hydraulic issues and chaffing of the wings. I've used it on 3 storms, all of which were under 6"!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I continue to grow more and more frustrated with Douglas Dynamics' lack of end user support. I think the dealers are simply trained to say "abuse" with any problem. DD needs to step up to the plate. First, admit QC is non existent. Second, take care of the guys. DD buyers are as loyal as any, but get nothing in return.
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They don't have to take care of their customers. They own three of the four BIG name Snow Removal Equipment lines now. They have a large percentage of the market share, and can really do whatever they want as far as quality, price, service, and support are concerned. When a better company comes along, they'll buy it and turn it into "another quality DD product" too, just like they did with the Blizzard line.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

u havent seen my thread yet ???
  10. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

repo man - having my buddy read it

1olddog- no.... same issues?
  11. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Geez. I started reading this after I posted my thread.

I'm glad to know that Douglas Dynamics is giving us all the big red weiny this year for Christmas.

I bet all the dealers got a memo at the beginning of the season..."Say its abuse. Then charge them an a$$ load of money. And don't fix it right."
  12. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

I enjoy hearing all this info. I just bought a new truck, I will have some pictures up soon its a 2010 F 350 crew cap with the 6.4 power stroke. For the last two weeks I have been going back and fourth about what kind of plow to put on it. I have always used western plows and never really had any problems. The dealer that I use is sold out of the plow I want, which is a 8.5 pro plus they are getting them in a week. I want to get a plow on the truck as soon as I can in case we get snow. The dealer wants to sell me on a wideout that he has in stock. I have been reading all the posts and I hear good things and then some bad things. I am just wondering what ever one thinks about the wideout. I am having a hard time deciding on what to do, part of me likes the hole idea of saving time with the expandable wings. The dealer is really trying to sell me on this plow. I also thought about going to a fisher, I have one now on my jeep and I have had them in the past and had good luck with them. I was thinking of going with a fisher because the dealer by me has a 8.5 X blade in stock but I would like to stick with western because I have them on a few of my trucks and would like to keep everything the same. So please give me some feedback. Thank you.
  13. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Walker Equipment?
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

LAB - do you have a Boss or Sno-Way dealer nearby?
  15. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

No I wish I would try a Boss in a heart beat. There is a Boss dealer but it is about 45 mins from me. So I am still up and down on what to do. My Western Dealer is really trying to push the wideout on me.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of plowing do you do? No doubt the wideout is a good style, but a Boss V with wings would be just as capable, and probably more versatile. Around here 45 minute drive is nothing for stuff like this.....
  17. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

We'll we do all parking lots. I am going to look into the Boss plows this week. Thanks for the feedback.
  18. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I was a pretty die hard loyal to Western but I will never hang another one off the front of my truck. So if you have a Boss dealer around....thats what I would shoot for.
  19. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Its looking like a am going to be going with a Boss V blade I like the Boss more and more its growing on me. Thanks for the info. Happy New year ever one !!!
  20. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Go talk to the Boss Dealer that's 45 mis away and tell them the price of the western an I bet they'll give you a good price!! I Buy mind from a dealer 1 1/2 hours away called Futureline they are all ways better priced on blades and parts and sending parts to me overnight, and are great on the phone to talk to better then Hawkeye Truck Equipment here in twn!! I would spend the extra time to go there if I where you. I'm really starting to question the reliabillty of Western more and more these days after reading the growing comments on here!!