1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout Leaking oIl

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lawnman883, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

We have a new wideout in it's first season and today was using it pushing back piles after the large storm a few days ago. After I parked the truck I noticed plow oil leaking from the bottom of the pump housing. I'm new to the new western pump style and housing so I dont know what to check or look for. Also not sure how to check the oil even :(
    They are calling for snow tomorrow and i need to at least top it off to be ready to go if we get 2".
    Thanks for any suggestions!
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

To check the oil pull the square headed pipe plug from the back side of the reservoir. It's pretty easy to see near the top of the motor / pump assembly. The filler plug / breather is the gray thing right on the top of the motor assembly right under the light bar where it is really hard to put oil in! With the plow down and the wings retracted fill fluid in the top hole just until it runs out the back one. Done!

For the leak, first check all the base nuts on the fittings at the front of the valve body are tight. These nuts compress an O-ring so if they are loose they will leak. Also, the O-ring could be damaged. If the leak is coming from inside, pull the two plastic sides off the the motor/valve body assembly by pulling the top rubber retainer up and the bottom rubber band off, then slide the side shrouds off. Carefully get someone to run the plow while you watch for leaks. Don't get skwished behind the plow! There are several plugs and valves in the aluminum block that could be loose or have bad O-rings. If you can see oil leaking from behind the front or back shrowd then it's a bit more complicated, that is a lot more work to get under and involves pulling the valve body / motor assembly out and bench dissasembly. Also be sure to wear glasses when looking for the leak under pressure, you don't want to get sprayed in the eyes!
  3. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

An assembly error of leaving a fitting loose or overtightening, squishing the oring is hopefully all you have wrong. On that system the motor is the lowest point, not considering the plastic cover. If you wipe the motor dry, sides and bottom, and see oil on the motor cap (bottom) you may have a bad shaft seal. It may take a bit to show up. Usually, the motor will smell from burning oil if this is the case.
  4. mishnick

That motor seal is something I haven't had to replace on a wide out yet but is something to consider. Since the motor is on the bottom and the pump & reservoir on top, if the motor seal is gone then fluid will run down through the motor and out the bottom. I hope that is not the case because that too is a bench repair.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the covers as stated. looking at the valve body from the left side you will see a round plug with an allen head. should be black. look and see if the oring is visible. if it is sicking out at all that is your problem. if not use a flashlight and see where the oil comes from. more than likely a popped oring.
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

it should not be leaking any type of oil. assembled incorrectly.
  7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Since it's a new plow this season and covered by a factory warranty, why not take it to your dealer to have it checked out?
  8. mishnick

It doesn't hurt to have a look, if it is something real simple you can save yourself a trip to the dealer and if you see the problem and it's too much trouble to "do it yourself" then absolutely take it back to where you bought it. Then at least you can tell them what the problem is and you can verify that they actually fix it. The problem with warranty repairs when it is snowing is that the shops are always busy and it may have to sit for a couple of days. At my shop I am the only Western trained tech and when the snow begins to fall the "shi* hits the fan". I have three plows sitting waiting either for parts or for me to get a chance to work on them. We have four technicians at the shop but nobody wants to work on the "little stuff" because there is not enough glory!

I guess my point is if it's just an o-ring or a loose plug fix it yourself and you will get it done right now. Seems a shame sometimes when I see people drive for three hours or more to have me take ten minutes to put a wrench on a fitting and tighten it You have to weigh the cost of gas and your time. A whole o-ring kit costs a few bucks but a tank of gas costs about $100 cdn for my F550. Then when you do fix it, spend a dime, call your dealer and give him a piece or your mind!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Join the club. :angry:

My crossover relief valve come loose twice. Might want to check that.