1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by concreteguy, Nov 14, 2014.

1. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

I have a 1 year old Wide-out and when I hooked to it today and went to raise it, the solenoid started to continuously click and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the power plug. When I would hit the raise button and jump the power terminals on the solenoid, the clicking would stop and I think it was the motor that was humming. The inside of the covers looked immaculate. I also cleaned the ground of the power plug and no difference. Anyone have any ideas ?
    Thanks, Tom

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The clicking is either because of a bad connections in the motor to battery cables or a bad motor relay. First check the + and - connections for the plow cable where it connects to the battery. The negative may be connected directly to the engine block, no problem, just make sure its clean and tight.

Once that is verified pull the motor relay, it's on the driver's side of the plow under the plastic shroud. Disconnect the plow cables from the truck before you start or there will be sparks as these cables are un-fused and directly connected to the battery.

Take the relay out and look at the label, it should say "int" short for intermittent. If it says "cont" short for continuous then it's the wrong relay. Either way, if cleaning and tightening the battery cables doesn't resolve the issue replace the motor relay with one marked "int". When they first started building Wide-outs they used the same relay as the older non multiplex versions but when they realized this chatter problem they upgraded to the intermittent version because they have stronger magnets to hold them closed better.

3. concreteguy

I'll check the connections again. The relay clicks non-stop when I press the raise button ( I never tried any other button ) and doesn't stop until you un-plug the power. The plow is just now a year old. When I pulled the covers off initially, I was surprised to see how clean it was under the covers, no sign of any corrosion. Not that the internal part of the relay couldn't be. I'll check for the type of relay. The plow worked flawless all last season.
    Thanks

4. mishnick

Those relays fail regularly but show no external signs of failure. If you replace it, grind off the little rivets holding the bottom plate on and look at the insides. There is a copper disk and two contacts that look like copper rivet heads. The damage is usually clearly visible there when the relays are replaced for failing to connect properly. What's interesting here is that yours won't stop clicking until you unplug??? Some relays of this type have two windings, a pull-in and a hold-in. If the hold-in has a break in it chatter will happen but it would stop when you let off the button. The other thing that makes them chatter is voltage drop under load. When the relay hits bottom and connect the motor there is a high current draw. If a bad connection exists the current can't get through fast enough and the voltage drops to the point where it can't hold the relay closed so it opens breaking the connection. Then the high current stops and the voltage climbs again until the relay has enough voltage to close. This cycle repeats itself causing the chatter. Engine starter motors do the same thing when the battery is weak, there is a loose connection or when the hold-in winding is bad.

5. concreteguy

Tomorrow I'll hook to another Wide-out and eliminate any problem with the truck side and then I'll install the new relay
    Thanks, Tom

6. concreteguy

I ran a jumper cable from the battery Neg to the Neg on the plow motor and it works. The ground that I went to was enough for the lights but not to operate the plow. Thanks for the reply
    Tom

7. mishnick

So it sounds like your main motor power cable has a bad connection between the vehicle ground and the plow ground. Look under the driver's side cover of the plow. The ground cable bolts directly to the motor housing, make sure that is tight. Then go under the hood and find where the plow battery ground is connected. |It will either go directly to a battery post clamp or possibly to the engine block. Where ever it's connected verify that it is tight and effectively connected. If both of those connections are good then look closely at the grill plug with the two big pins and two small pins. One or both sides may have to be replaced.

8. concreteguy

On the 5500 Top kick, the cable is too short to make it to the battery. So I added a cable from the ground point, to the battery and all is fixed
    Thanks again, Tom