1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout hinged back drag

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ChevyHDkid45, Nov 18, 2014.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I am looking to put a hinged back drag on my wideout. I've seen them on a blizzard but looking to see if anyone has pictures of one on a wideout. I would appreciate it fellas.

2. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

Stonebrook in Burnsville has hinged ones $250 if I remember right

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You having problems back dragging with that thousand pound plow?

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Don't know how to post pics but I made one for my wideout. Any plow will back drag better with a back drag bar. I can text you some photos if no one posts any on here. Just post your number or pm me it and I will send them.

5. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Pm Sent .
    Mn-Bob

6. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Back drag pics

Tony,
    Here you go nice job.

Mn Bob

securedownload.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  7. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

2.jpg Nice fabrication job

2.jpg

8. mponcelet

mponcelet Junior Member

That looks great Bob! I want to make pretty much the same thing for my Pro Plus. How thick of steel did you use for the edge? Thanks so much!

9. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

I just posted the pictures . Tony 350 is the man who did all the great work you will need to address Him .

Mn-Bob

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That looks like some nice fabrication... but I have to ask... why not just install the Western back-drag edge? This looks like a lot of trouble to build and each time it wears out or gets bent you have to do all the mounting bar fabrication all over again. The OEM back-drag blade was also bent so it gave the same attack angle going backwards as the main cutting edge does going forward. From what I see in the photo your "hinged back-drag edge" is 90 degrees to the road, does this do a better job? Better maybe for slushy wet snow or for hard packed snow? Enlighten us....

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

My uncle tried the western one on his ultramount and hated it compared to his old unimount that had the hinged type. This was right when the pro plus ultramounts came out and no one made them yet. The next year I got an ultramount and didn't want to waste my money according to my uncle. So I made one for me, tried it out, then made one for him.

Once I upgraded to a wideout I made this one. I used it all last year with no issues.

Here are my thoughts on hinged vs fixed:
    You put all the pressure/weight of the plow on one cutting edge at a time. With a fixed one you split that between two cutting edges.

With the fixed edge once you wear the front cutting edge out both will need to be replaced. On my old pro plus one back drag edge lasted 3 main cutting edges and still worked when I sold it. Most of the time plowing the hinged bar is just floating on the pavement with no extra plow weight because going forward it is folded back. The only real wear on it is when back dragging.

On the pro plus plows on the back side on the bottom there is a rolled channel. The hinged bar locks against that not allowing snow to build up underneath it and start to lift the plow up. The fixed one scrapes right where your cutting edge is making snow stack up directly under the rolled channel.

The downside is I am sure it weighs more than the fixed one, this is probably also do to the way I make things. I like them to last.
    Also you do lose a little lifting height due to the fact that when the hinged bar drops down it needs to be able to lift the front cutting g edge off the ground. Therefore it has to be taller.

On a side note I haven't ever wore one out. However my friend has my uncles old unimount think it's a 90 or 91. In about 06 he put a new cutting edge and his back drag bar wasn't tall enough. Simply take the leftover wore out main cutting edge butt it to the back drag bar and stich weld it up. He has been through 3 cutting edges is certainly then and it is still good.

My uncle and I talked about putting an attack angle on it. We thought it was best to leave it straight. There is no tripping safety when back dragging so figured it wouldnot catch stuff as much or be as severe. I have caught it back dragging if it is hard enough the plow will jump up and go over the object. We thought we might lose the jump factor if we angled it.

It is hard to do any r&d. If you do something and it does t work you have to fix it so you can finish plowing.

To be fair and honest they work much better than without, however it is no replacement for down pressure.

12. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

For my previous plow (Fisher MM2) I built a very similar backdrag edge as the one that Tony built. I built it the same way (90 degree attack angle) for the same reason Tony mentions. It worked extremely well, wore very little and didn't get caught on things at all. I agree the 90 degree is better than the angled style.

13. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Nice work sir... Hinged backdrag is the way to go!

14. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I used 3/8 then I welded an old cutting edge about 2 to 2.5" to the 3/8. On the wideout it ended up being about 8 inches tall. The 3/8 was a 6 inch tall plate.

On all the straight blades I just used 6 inch tall plate. Remember to shim up the cutting edge at least an inch or so so the back drag edge is plenty tall even as it wears. If you cutting edge is worn factor that in as well and if it is used you will want to make sure it is worn even from end to end. Otherwise the back drag edge won't be even from end to end.

15. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Is there a company out there that builds these? I had one several years ago and it worked awesome.

16. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I know aspen equipment made them for the unimount years ago. I have seen a fair amount of hinged one on pro pluses so they may make them as well. They are located in bloominton mn.

17. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I just called there, they still make them for Western. Unfortunately we have Boss:(

18. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

Here is the one I made. Works pretty well. If I build another one ill probably do it your way. I like that

image.jpg