1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout/Fischer XLS

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by zjm, Dec 22, 2009.

1. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Anyone here using a wideout or a fisher xls on thier truck?
    Ive got an 04 Dodge quad cab/ drw/diesel 8' box and was considering putting one of these on.
    I was wondering if anyone was using one of those plows with the same truck i have and thier opinions with regards plow weight issues and overall performance.

Thanks, Tim
  2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey man i got a wideout so far i love it.Its on my 02 2500 and it only drops the front end on inch and the front end is stock. You will love it, it cut my time in half at the wal-mart i plow
  3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Anyone use either of those plows on a truck same as mine?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have an 03 quad ctd single rear wheel with a wideout. No problem.
    Had about 15 cement blocks cribbed in the bed last year... now I have a 800lb ebling hanging of the back. I had new tires last year and it made it really hard to turn with no balast.

The blade is 8ft (I dont think that will cover your tracks will it?)
    9ft in scoop (this should)
    and 10 ft wide open

With your truck what about running a v blade with wings. You can carry alot more weight in the back and can push alot of snow. With such a long truck also the V will let you move better if youhave any tight spots.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you do all/mostly parking lots, the V is probably more versatile.
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Straight it does, but angled I actually am not sure....I have never tried it?.?..?..

with the wideout, I love having 10 ft to back drag driveways with, cuts down on the amount of passes......also being able to angle in scoop is more handy than one may think.

To the OP.....FWIW, I run my wideout on a 1 ton dump w/10ft bed and it works great
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. zjm

zjm Senior Member

im told 8'6" is min what i need to cover my tracks with plow angled
    The wideout and XLS are very heavy and ive done some research and with my front axle rating @5200
    just a lirttle concerned about the weight.Its not like ill be plowing with 6 people in there but i guess the manufacturer has to figure worse case scenerio.
    Plow would be more for personal convenience and open park lots
    I like these plows because of the versatility.
    Are they really to much plow for the truck?
    Also the dealers will sell it to me but not install it because of the weight issue
    Thanks for the help thus far,trying to make a decision
    My first dually had since new and it will be the first plow for it.

Thanks again, Tim
  8. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

You will be overweight, but your truck will be able to handle it fine. You can look up hlntoiz on here he has either an 07 or 08 ram 3500 quad cab dually diesel and has been plowing with a Blizzard 8611LP plow which is about 100 lbs heavier than an XLS or wideout, with no problems. Make sure you have plenty of weight in the bed for ballast and you'll have one heck of a plowin rig.
  9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Tim, got your message......In my experiences I plowed for 4 years with a 9.5EZV on a F450. Good plow and V's have their place. IMO really for people who do a lot of private roads and gets lots of heavy snow at once. Being able to split a road is key. After I sold my F450 I bought the Dodge and put a 8611lp on it. I absolutely love it. The most productive truck I have ever plowed with. The truck handles the weight just fine if you have enough ballast in it (like any truck) I have a dump insert with spreader so it is well balanced. The LP has cut my times down very noticably. Especially in parking lots. Being able to take a 8-10' pass rather than a 4-5' pass in a parking lot is a big time saver. Never mind being able to scoop and put snow where you want to.

Being able to scoop around corners without leaving a huge windrow is awesome, that doesnt' leave as much to backdrag. And the Blizzards back drags better than any other plow IMO.

Here are a few pics. For the little extra I spent on the LP it has paid for itself 100times over. Well worth the investment.

I definately suggest a expandable plow. Blizzard first, Fisher, then Western. But Dealer support is the most important.

Here are a few pics.

There is a pic Here Page 8 of me scooping a corner

A few more.

10. zjm

zjm Senior Member

That looks like a really nice set-up,not to mention a beautiful truck
    I want a plow like that,what can i expect to pay for a plow like that.
    Id install it myself

Thanks ,Tim
  11. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I don't know what they are running now in cost. Remember DD bought Blizzard so the new plows are slightly different than my model.

IMO for the extra few hundred $$ is it is worth the dealer installing the plow. This way if anything goes wrong they have to fix it. That is just what I would do.