1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wideout ballast

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tony350, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I got a new truck this past summer and got a good deal on a western wideout. The truck is a 2013 f350 diesel crew cab with the long box. I used to carry about 500lbs with my old truck and my straight blade pro plus. Quick match doesn't list the plow for my truck with the long box. I am curious what all guys are running for ballast with similar setups. I usually plow in 4wd but I like the way it handles with a little weight. Thanks alot.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Bout that weight sounds correct. Maybe a few more rocks for extra measures

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We run a similar truck w/ a wideout....before equipping the truck w/ a vbox, I felt having around 750lbs between the rear axle & tailgate was barely enough.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Most trucks are around 60% front and 40% rear weight unloaded. Then when you hang the plow on the front you can push that to 70% and more.

Simplest rule to follow.

Take truck to a CAT or other scale. Drop the plow out of the way and put front axle on one plate and rear on the other one. Weight in and grab your slip or tell them you're doing a second weigh. Then do the same thing with the plow on the truck and with the plow UP.

Weigh in and grab your slip. You will probably be amazed.

Open your door and find your FGVW ( front GVW) RGVW ( rear ) and Total GVW.

You might already be over the FGVW.

You then want to add weight BEHIND The rear Axle until you do one of two things. Reach 50% front and 50% rear or you hit your Rear or Total GVW.

Some may think this is nuts but from years of experience and installing on LOTS of trucks and doing weights with and without plow on hundreds of different models the end result is worth it. Gas / diesel mileage is easy to give up when weighed against the rewards.

You will have SUPERIOR traction and more importantly BRAKING. Instead of rear wheel slide and front wheel over steer the truck will handle better than it does unloaded ( except for acceleration ).

You will find that you can plow most of the time in 2WD. This saves on front end component wear. Big cost saving there,

Any weight is better than none but you need to get back to at least what the truck was without the plow.

If you really want to see some neat results head back to the scale and put the plow on one plate and the rest of the truck on other plates. Drop the plow down and weigh in. The weight on the plate with the plow is the amount of force that the plow puts on the cutting edge. Compare this to the listed weight of the plow. Except for the Snoway ( try a weight with down pressure on too ) and Blizzard owners the weight will be 250-300# below the listed weight of the plow. Snoway's will show how much extra down force is applied and you can also see how much load is lifted off the front axle and transferred to the rear. The Blizzards will be very close to the listed plow weight ( one reason the scrape down so well ).

Good luck and watch the wings.