1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wideout and mvp questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pieperlc, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Does anyone know if the wideout and mvp are interchangeable? I'm talking about mounts and wiring, I'm sure the in cab controller would have to be different. Also, I was wondering if anyone had the specs on the the 'v' and scoop sizes on the mvp 8.5 & 9.5. I looked on the western site and had no luck. They only showed the angle & straight widths. Trying to decide on Boss xt, Boss v, or western v and what size. Thanks for any and all help.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I asked that same question to some dealers at the MN state fair a couple weeks ago. They told me everything would hook up the same except that I'd need a different controller (obviously). But the mount is the same and so is the harness.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% correct as long as the MVP is the "Plus" model. The older standard issue MVP's are different as far as the wiring aspect end of it.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

What About Straight

would that mean that a new wideout would hook up to my straight pro plow ultra mount hookups

here is what I am thinking. buy a new wideout, hook it up to the harness of the old straight blade, and take the straight blade and moveit over to the backup truck.

controllers i can understand have to swap out.

otherwise i have to pull the wireing harness and i think the ultra mount is the same?

any help would be needed as I thought ultramount was all the same.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

MVP Plus and Wideout are the only two that share the same truck side wiring in the Western lineup. Otherwise your forced to change it.

6. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

what are any issues the mvp plus are having or has had?
    I am looking into buying a new V this year and I am wondering on the kind to buy. I like the new snoway in the pics but the extremeV has already been proven. Is the western a better and faster mounting system than fisher. Anything guys just help me out please.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As you may know Fisher and Western V's are the same except for the mounting style and the color. And of course both of those are simply personal preference.

Fisher advantage:
    Stainless moldboard option if you want it.

Western advantage:
    Factory pin on wings if you want/need them.
    Ultramount is easier to attach/detach on uneven ground over the MM2.

Common issues are virtually parallel between the two..

Although the new Snoway Mega V's are just fresh out on the market they do look very, very, promising. Their new technology and design appears to be top notch...and it's tough to beat down pressure no matter the weight of the plow.

8. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

yeah i finally am getting to see a prototype friday so we will see. I like the idea of tripping in the scoop or Vee mode, does the snoway do that like the western. and they seem to have the same attach as the fisher with that handle and all.

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Glad to hear that you are going to get to see the plow on Friday and that I was able to help. I think that you will be very impressed with it.

Don't forget that after you buy your new plow ;) you have the value adder of great support here on site. :nod:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Mega is a drive in system like the fisher and does have a single lever lock, thats where the similarity ends. Snoway is carrying a "state of the art" hydraulic system with pulse control wiring and the simplicity of the EIS headlights. No headlight modules, relays, Isolation modules, switches, fuse, not one consumable are active part. nothing to fail but the bulbs and when it's time to switch to a new truck nothing to buy but the adapters.

We Haven't even gotten to the Down Pressure. Nothing scrapes like DP, The constantly regulated Hydraulic down force maintains a consistent pressure against the road surface. The unit dosen't bounce around the road surface, and cann't ski over the snow when back dragging leaving a layer behind. Anybody who has ever experienced hydraulic down pressure will tell you it's the bomb.

Snoway uses a direct lift system instead of the chain lift. There is no chain to get shorter and ski the pile when stacking. No more having to short chain the blade and dig it out enough to be able to back up, because it drops over the backside.

Snoway mounts their 12 volt motor solinold on the pump package. Doesn't sound like much, unless you've ever tried to wiggle a 12v MS out though all the A/C and heater hoses. It's the details.

Check the Mega out. I had my hands on it and the REVO for a long week end and am chomping at the bit waiting for my order to arrive. Have you been to the site?
    http://www.sitepreview.us/snoway08/wwwfiles/index.cfm/act/megablade

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so your saying the main power solinold is mounted outside the truck , and that LIVE power, then is feed thru the plug at all times, even when the truck is off?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes sir; there is a 250 amp fuse in the system. the control system power is shut down by the controler and the unit turns it'self off if it has not received a command in thirty minutes.

Snoway has been using this system for a while. nice having a 12 plug plug at the front bumper for other uses in the off season.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher and Western have been doing that ever since the MVP Plus and Xtreme blades came out...solenoid that is normally mounted under the hood is mounted beside the pump on the plow itself.

Except unlike the Snoway...the Fisher/Western power cables ARE HOT AT ALL TIMES regardless. Gotta be sure the power cables are extra safely and extra carefully routed through to the plow. :eek:

14. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

What about tripping in the V and scoop mode tho does that work or not.
    OK OK OK so what is better for the truck and the plow i guess when it trips, trip edge or full blade trip?? I here everyone talk about the trip edge is better, since I own a fisher now I do like it i guess but it is harsh when it trips. I do know that trip edges suck in snow that has been frozen down on blacktop for a day. it will just trip trip trip trip leaving alot of little bumps instead of scraping down. So what is better???

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:Their is a rumor that a trip edge will save your transmission?

Not sure how it does it but ask Norwayplow for details...

V plows will trip in all positions too.

The wing will bled back then it will trip or ride over the obstacle.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

For that individual case nothing will beat a Snoway full trip with Down Pressure ON

17. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Hey Basher today I seen the revo and V. It was amazing. The lift and drop was slower than expected but everything else is just a plowmans plow. That remote is awesome too and did ya know it will operate yuour sander and the plow. Industry first i bet. I think that Snoway will on my truck this season. They have guys like Tom behind them and in my eyes thats what seals deals due to the responses of every question whether it is biased or not. I spoke to Jeff he was the one with the truck and he is very proud to sell this product. I just hope that the electrical is as good or better than the construction because that was great.

Thanks again Tom thanks alot.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah I know about the dual controls, sweet idea. So I'm guessing there's a Snoway spreader in your future;) I'm hoping there's a separate shut off. Hate to lower the blade and also dump half a load of material before i realized i kicked the spreader in.

The EIS system is the deal. I'm sure Jeff showed you the simplicity of it.

And Toby what can i say about Tom, that they won't delete:yow!::jester: Did you know he is Jim Henson's last Muffet:nod: He was in all the movies. And he's a babe magnet, cann't get near him in public for all the Hot babes. I cann't thank him enough to agree to fly into Philly so I could have the Mega Vee and Revo for the July 4 weekend. Must have been a long flight

180px-Sopwith_F-1_Camel_2_USAF.jpg

19. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Thanks guys! Does anyone know the widths of the western mvp when it's in scoop and vee? Also, does anyone put an 8.5/8.2 on a F-350 DRW dump? Was looking at switching back and forth between the dump and a 2500hd. Thought the 9.5/9.2 would be a little large for the 2500. My 350 only has a 4600 lb. front axle rating so a 9.5/9.2 might be a little large for that as well. Thanks for any help, only have 7.5's on 2500's and looking to go a little larger.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707