1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wide-out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wideout, Dec 18, 2009.

1. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Has anyone out there with a wideout put metal on the wings after the poly ones have worn out? The first snow and mine are gone! at this rate it will cost a small fortune by the end of winter

2. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hey there I just put a wideout on my 03 GMC dump, I haven't used it yet...... I know the wings have 1400 psi releaf valve, but a metal cutting edge sounds like damage!!!!!! Hope there is some more discussion.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I agree..Metal sounds scary...I have a XLS and the edges from jerre are $600 bucks..People say they are well worth the price,,,

5. Hysert

have you worn your out yet

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Blizzards use steel edges and even they wear quite a bit. I think its kindof piss poor to use poly ones.

7. HELLO SORRY TO BOTH YOU GUYS BUT i WANT TO BUY A NEW PLOW WITH POWER WINGS WHAT THE DIFF BETWEEN WESTERN WIDE OUT AND BLIZZARD POWER PRO I WAS TO THER THE SAME THING????? HELP NEW TO ALL THIS
    1997 F250 HD 7.6 UNI MOUNT POLY

8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Western, Blizzard & Fisher are all made by Douglas Dynamic.I think they are all good products i'm just partial to western. Go with the one that has service close to you. I looked at all of them and thought western was the baest made but like i sad i'm partial to them.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Honestly I'm as Western as it gets, but for the power plows, the Blizzard 810 and 8611lp are by far the superior plow. Look at the construction of the 2 side by side and the Blizzard's quality and strength is unmatched, hands down......Douglas Dynamics or not. BUT that being said, they completely redesigned the Blizzard plows this year and getting your hands on the pre 09/10 model is slim to none from what it looks like.

10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Yeah take a look at the new blizzards they are not made like they use to be!!

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

i have to 2 years on my wings ( 100 plus inches). I'm only replacing them because i bent the crap out of cutting edge. they are now about 1 in to short. i did find them for $90.00 a side. dealer wanted like 170 for each i also had the rear support beefed up

pat's holding folder 118.jpg

pat's holding folder 126.jpg

pat's holding folder 105.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey 1olddog2 where did you find them for 90.00 at

13. 1olddogtwo

i order them last week, should have by Wednesday i hope ( ups busy season with x-mas packages)

http://www.fallline.com/index.cfm

FallLine Polyurethane Plow Wings are made as a direct replacement for factory units. Please call your FallLine Sales Representative for makes/models not listed.

Part # 5242-600-522
    Price: $93.00

Qty:

PlowWing.jpg

14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Pretty much nailed it. DD bought Blizzard to get the rights to the patton. Anyway. Blizzard edges are steel which you can weld Carbide edges to. They will last for years with the carbides if you don't bend one!:rolleyes:

15. plows & wings- blade materials

:drinkup::waving::drinkup:ok thanks alot for all the help I am going to go look at a blizzard 8611 today at tim wallace in bowlingbrook.IL whom said he has them in stock. To offer any help to you all with the wing cutting edge CPW IN TINLEY PARK.IL HAS THOSE YELLOW POLY BLADES IN THER SHOW ROOM and you can buy thei material buy the foot check them out also I looked on the jerre.s web site and he has this type of wing called danger wings and there mount to a 8611 blizzard kinda cool hope that can help a little

16. 1olddogtwo

the western wideout are custom cut . look at the pic closely. i'm sure i could buy a block of ploy and cut ,mold and router it. or buy new and spend more time on plowsite...

17. ok just got of the phone with CPW in tinley pk and was told 40.00 a ft for the yellow poly cutting edge. just for your FYI # 1-800-761-1700 this in undrilled /no bolt pattern:cool:

18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Weld these Carbides on. Your edge will last for a long while!

19. Hysert

Hey I just spoke to Brett Scheer at fall line products and yes they due have the precut urithane ploy edges for Fisher XLS and Westerns Wideout..... Seems like these boys know there stuff according to them the urithane lasts for alot longer we'll see????? I will have a set for backup if need be.....

20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Lasts a lot longer than what? The Polyurethane edges that Western/Fisher already use? :dizzy:

This has already been posted, but...
    http://www.jerres.com/XLS-Wideout-Edges.html

Look at those edges, then look at the stuff you're talking about. See the difference? These edges were actually engineered for this application by fellow snowplow operators. These are the real deal. :cool:

Jerre used to run around here, you might be able to PM him and find out more about these...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009