1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide-out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Spike242, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Spike242

Spike242 Junior Member

Can any one tell me if a wide-out plow will work for a 1996 F-250 ext. cab (it also has heavy duty springs installed by previous owner) 4x4. I called the local dealer and they said that it wouldn't work, he guess it was because of weigh but he couldn't say. I look up and on western website and they say that a 9'6" mvp V plow would work and the weight for the V was 988 lbs and the wide-out was 940 lbs both less mount. Any ways if some one can help me out I would be thankful.

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, they shouldn't say it won't work, they should say it's not recommended. If they choose not to sell it to you or install it on that truck, that's their business, but they shouldn't tell you it won't work.
    And yes I see what you mean about the weights. not sure what Western's reasoning is.
    I'd say it's your truck and you can do what you want with it.

3. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

I have a Wide-Out on my '06 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins, LOTS of weight out front, but other than the normal weak Dodge ball joints, I haven't had any problems. Joints replaced with XRFs, all is well. Almost 1000 pounds of sand behind the rear axle really helps even things out.

Western says the plow is too heavy for my truck as well, but I bumped up the front coils by two ratings, and I almost never bottom out. Good luck, I say go for it!

4. Spike242

Spike242 Junior Member

Thank you for the replies guys.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you're welcome. also, if you aren't familiar with Timbren boosters, they are a good way to keep the front end from squatting so much when you raise the blade. We've installed hundreds of them over the last 20 years or so. good product, lifetime warranty.