1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide-Out?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rgory, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Rgory

Rgory Member

Hey guys,

Thinking of swapping the 8' pro w/wings for a wide-out. Have read a lot of things going both ways with the unit but I am curious if anyone has any real world experience to add or any do's and don'ts?

I am on the southside of Chicago, Oak Lawn to be exact, and would love to see a unit that has been in service first hand and get feedback. If anyone is on the southside and would want to meet up let me know.

Ryan

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

u can look at my P.O.S. wideout

3. 1olddogtwo

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Have you ever considered you got a lemon? I havent seen anywhere that someone has had the problems you've had. In fact, I've watched for the things that have happened to you, afraid it may happen to me. Thankfully none of it has.

I have 3 seasons on our wideout, and have had 0 problems. It gets used for everything from little driveways, to windrowing at 20+ mph on 20+ acre commercial sites. Great plow imo.

5. 1olddogtwo

LOL, to tell to truth western should hire me to be their test dummy...i love the plow now it's just things that need to the watched for

1st year all 6 ribs gave and fold in the cutting edge that pushed back 2 to 3 inches

2nd year the blade rocked back and pulled the face of the mounting out forward

3rd year, cracks around the slide box on the moldboard, cracked pivot bolt, the mount where the chain attaches to the a-frame tearing about 3in of its weld, the A-frame slapping the lift ram breaking the 90 elbow off on the last storm,

i love this plow, i really do..i never had a motor or a hydro problem, i still have one headlight that doesn't have tape holding it together, and for as much abuse i give this thing.....never had a problem with the wings

no bull, i would buy another one....this things moves some snow

IMG_20110201_103348.jpg

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

LOL, nice paint job.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Now that is what a well worked plow looks like. I have my xls and all I can say is that it is a great plow and moves a lot of snow. I hope fisher would make an 8611xls as I would buy it next. If not I am getting another xls.

8. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

stick with the Pro-Plus unless u need the 8 ft as much as u need the 9ft scoop... if you HAVE to take the wings off and on alot the wide-out is a time saver.... But if you can plow in the 9ft scoop (aka 8ft pro-plow w/ wings) all the time or just take it of 2-3 times a storm then the pro-plow is a better blade.

less to go wrong if it does...

9. Rgory

Rgory Member

I appreciate everyone's input. Dont know which way to go yet. Having the versatility to go between 8' and 9' scoop at the flip of aswitch sounds preety appealing though.

10. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

wide out

We have had a busy winter..... and I put the wide out on some real test, I think they are great versatile blade ! the only thing I don't like is that the poly blocks on the wings wear out like crazy ... I would give this a rating of 9 out of 10...wesport I plow some retail and industrial with some wide open areas, it performed great, good luck . :drinkup:

11. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

Has anyone used the wide out on dirt roads? i plow alot of dirt driveways/roads was wondering if any stones would get pinched in the slide box where the wings come out?

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Ido a couple of gravel side lots for overflow purposes and no stones have gotten stuck in the slide box or the trip edge on my xls.

13. CoastalSnow&Ice

CoastalSnow&Ice Junior Member

love my plow had it 3 years now

14. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

roblems after two years at all and i use mine for large commercial lots and small drives. The backside of the slide box is open anuthing that gets in them comes out the back of it