1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide-Out Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SnoPro Inc, Dec 9, 2010.

1. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Anyone using a Westen Wide-Out have anything good or bad to say about them? Pictures and stories would be appreciated.

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Buy the Fisher xls.....:nod:

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Buy one, I don't think I will ever buy a vplow again, going on my 4th wideout this week

4. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Really, wow that says something if your going to get a 4th. must be great.

I just cant stand how the wings of a v fold in when back dragging.

I do love Fisher Xtreme v's in stainless steel :)

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Wish DD would make a western 8611 like the blizzard

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2 !

To the OP, I have (1) wideout and have been very happy with it.

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

i bought my wideout last year and its awesome! I've ran v-plows and they have there place but the wideout is so much more versatile i think you would love it.

8. Chipper

Chipper Member

14 inches of snow and counting just today with winds gusting to 35 plus. Some of the drifts are almost as high as the plow lights. Can't wait to see how tall they are tomorrow. Sure am glad I was smart enough to get the V-plow.
    Just can't see blowing though 1/4 mile plus long driveways with all this snow, with a Wide Out.

9. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I will admit that if I were doing driveways then I would use one but that's the only way it outshines a wideout. just depends on what you do more of.

10. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Drifts almost up to the plow lights!!! Gee wiz, yeah a V will make much easier work of that.

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This V-plow v. Expanding Wing plow argument is getting to be as old as the Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge argument. :rolleyes:

12. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Not trying to argue, just gather info. everyone here is being civilized.

13. Remmy

Remmy Junior Member
    from Alaska

Had one for about a month now and I love it. They move some snow for sure.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I was more referring to "Chipper"'s response. I argued this internally for a long time before deciding on a Blizzard Power Plow last seaon. 99% of the time, I'd have no use for the "Vee" function, while the "scoop" function is invaluable. The windrowing ability with leading wing acting as a gate and trailing wing fully extended moves some serious snow. I'm more productive now than I have ever been before, even with a straight blade and pro wings.

Each style of blade has its use and it's place, there really is no end-all, be-all answer to this situation. I don't even think an expanding wing/v-plow combination would be that productive, too many functions, too much weight, etc.

15. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Understood and well said. I can only imagine how much snow that can move wondrowing, i hate having to use less and less of the blade going across a lot. I'm interested to see if Boss will come out with anything like the wideout or XLS or power plow.

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Biggest advantage of the power plow design is the trailing wing for windrowing. You can take larger passes every time.

17. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Really, I'd think the biggest advantage would be the leading wing that can angle forward to keep snow on the moldboard.

18. fozzy

fozzy Member

They will when western buys them too

19. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Okay smartass.

20. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Settle down sparky.