1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wide out, xls or blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Randy's plowing, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Randy's plowing

Randy's plowing Junior Member

Was thinking of getting a blizzard type plow. I guess I am kind of torn between the wideout and the blizzard. Just looking for some opinions of those who ran these.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

This has been discussed many times, do some searches. I love my 810 and have heard the XLS is nice too, however reviews on the wideout have been mixed.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Find out if you like a cylinder lift plow (Blizzard) or a cylinder chain lift plow (western+fisher)

I did a poll last year on chain VS cylinder lift plows, and cylinder lift plows were by far the favored plow..

I used to be a chain lift fan, but after really looking at the plows, the cylinder lift plows in Sno-way, Boss, and Blizzard are superior to the chains...jmo

4. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Blizzards have metal cutting edges on the wings, wideout has that real thick hard rubber.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like the Fisher XLS . I personaly like the chain lift becous if you have a hydrolic failor you can just short chain the plow and drive home and fix it there.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah the rest of us just drop our plows and buy new ones when they need fixed. Stop giving people wrong info. Like my dad use to say. IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

7. mercer_me

So when you blow a hose you buy a new plow?:confused: I just short chain my plow and put a new hose on in my shop.

8. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

HA...HA..LMAO, JD you said it.:D

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

10. mercer_me

I know I was being sacastic to.:mad:

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

This is crazy, all i know is trip edges save transmissions!:rolleyes::waving:

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well if you run a unit that experiences regular hydraulic failure it would be a chain lift, and you should carry a floor jack, and a whole bunch of parts.:cool:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boy you sure must own an awful lot of plow models...you recommended a different one every week. :rolleyes:

No different than a cylinder lift style plow. You'd know that if you had any experience with them.. ;)

14. gkm

gkm Senior Member

Hey B & B passed by a truck today on I-78 with B&B on it from Lancaster is that u?

15. mercer_me

No I just like Fisher and Boss.

16. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Boss a cylinder lift plow?

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He converted it to chain lift. LOL

18. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

I knew I had to be missing something there, lol.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Because they're so similar?
    Lets see, Fisher is a trip edge and Boss....no thats not it.
    So is it because they both use chain lif...not that's not it.
    So is it because they're both yello...no that's not it.
    Is it because they both use overly complex wirei....not that's not it.
    Is it from years of experience operating as multitude of different equipment in varying condti....no that's not it.

Alright I'm stumped, the only real similarity I see is they both are a subsidiary of a mega large holding company.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it was in the granny lane it wasn't me. :D