1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide-out wing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by concreteguy, Feb 5, 2015.

1. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

My friend is having a problem with his Wide-out. The drivers wing will bleed back to straight. I was told to check the amount of thread exposed on the spring bolt, and if it's more than 3/4", adjust. We did that but it didn't seem to help
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks, Tom
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Look at page 23 and 39 of this link: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/27376.00_100107.pdf
    There are two relief valves for each wing. I ran into this before where the valves were leaking back and allowing the wings to retract on their own under spring tension. It's a bigger job to get at them because you have to pull all the hoses and remove the whole hydro unit to remove the plastic shroud. I have seem people drill holes in the shroud to make the valve accessible but I have also seen people get in trouble "playing with the screws" so I don't recommend the holes. When these valves work they don't require adjustment. You can buy replacement valve kits, not too hard to install once you get the unit apart. Read and follow the instructions carefully and don't turn the screws when there is pressure on them! You will need two 2000 psi pressure gauges to set them up correctly.
  3. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Thank you for the info. He made an appointment for the pro's to fix it, but that's not until the 13th. I say get into it so as to be able to work on your equipment, when need be
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably the best idea.
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The holes are a good idea if you have reliable operators. Just don't play with the screws after you get it fixed because they should never be adjusted after initial setup.