1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wide out vs xls

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I thought i had chosen the xls (if i ever have cash for a brand new plow that is). but in another thread i was enlightened about the fisher ribs. being rolled angle iron they say they seal the compartment, but sealed or not it woudl cause carrosion. rusting in a place you cannot get to. thus eventualy your mold board would be unrepeatable.

the trip edge is nice, but to me an unrepairable part is a big turn off.

what do you think?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can't really put one on a half ton dodge anyhow so........

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i thought his axle rating was high enough to allow that?? but only if he cranks up his torsion bars right???

4. birddseedd

eh. most likely its a couple hundred over. esspicialy with me carring an extra 100 lbs myself. no way to relally know for sure without measuring the truck. the back is 2280 lbs. the front will be quite a bit more most likely pushing over the edge. anyway

i think i saw a fisher that used vertical ribs not molded angle iron. which does the xls use?

5. peteo1

An xls weighs in around 980 lbs + the 60 lbs or so for the frame. I have the same truck bird has and there's no way is ever do it but to each their own. I had considered putting a 7 1/2' vee on mine but even that, imo, was too much. personally my next plow will be an xls but I'll need to upgrade to a 3/4 ton.

6. birddseedd

go 1 ton. at least with dodge the payload gvwr - curb wegith is only just over 2000 lbs. you spend more money but only get about 650 more lbs of capasity. whereas the 1 ton goes several k more.

7. dieselss

No peteo,,,just get bigger torsion bars. You could do it

8. dieselss

Your saying that a 3/4 ton or 2500. Weighs a little over 200 lbs there birdie??

9. birddseedd

not that i plan on getting a new plow without a new truck, but new torsion bars has been mentioned by others. would this actually be a viable option? the front is not like the rear where the axle takes weight. your 4x4 axel shafts do not hold weight. the frame of the truck can hold the weight, but if you upgrade the bars should it not be able to hold more weight? my contractor upgraded his suspension and his axle to a 1 ton. he will be carrying the salt spreader for me.

10. birddseedd

still wondering about the xls having molded angle iron?

11. birddseedd

no. im saying the payload of a 1500 is 1300#. the payload of a 2500 is 2050#

12. peteo1

LOL!!! Love it! Maybe I could weld an extra set in somewhere for even more capacity

13. dieselss

Yea never thought of that !! But they gotta be from a international,,,that way you can have even more q?s bout how they work

14. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey bird dodge's don't have torsion bars buddy.

15. dieselss

On 1500 s they do

16. birddseedd

half ton dodges do. 2500 and up do not. i wish i didnt have torsion bars. and wish i had a bigger truck

17. birddseedd

what about my fisher question?

18. dieselss

Idk. Go look at one. Or look on fishers website. Duh it aint that hard

19. birddseedd

the local dealer here has mostly boss on display. so i caint get access to one. when looking at the xls site on fisherplows.com its a frontal view. not showing the ribs. pretty sure iv seen fisher do both. not sure. is why im asking.

20. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

So go to Fishers website, go to dealer locator, find one and call them. Real easy, and question answered correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.