1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide Out vs XLS

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowingcanuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. plowingcanuck

plowingcanuck Junior Member

I have a Boss V-plow, and I am thinking about adding either a Western Wideout or a Fisher XLS to my growing fleet. Could any Owners of the Wideout this past Winter give me feedback on their experiences? Thanks in advance.

Take care

Go Canucks
  2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

They are basically the same plow, just different colors...from our experience, installing and working on plows...VERY little problems with the wide out. Great plow!
  3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have one for 2 season's now I love it No problems, I wish I had a wideout 5 years, You cant go wrong
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

The fischer will have a trip blade and the western will have a full moldboard trip. They each have their own mounting system for hooking them up to the truck.
  5. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I don't have a wide out but am also looking at purchasing one this fall. I did however buy a new western MVP this past jan with the ultra mount. I truly love the ultra mount system.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you like the BOSS and the direct lift, why not a Blizzard Power-plow or speedwing?
    The Fisher and Western are just offshoots of the blizzard the original producer of the get wide concept. Since Blizzard belongs to DD now the hydraulics and lighting would be the same as the western or fisher only you would have the advantages of direct lift and the simlipistly of operation the speedwing offers.

Another unit available with direct lift and rotating wings is the Snoway 29R. The lightest of the bunch it offers down pressure and hydraulic wings that will rotate into a box pusher however you are limited to 8'10"

7. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

They are essentially the same. I would stick to making your decision based on dealer support. What dealers are closest to your accounts and who will be readily avail and quick to repair if you have an issue. That, to me, is more important than what color you have hanging off the front of your truck. No matter what, you find critics to every brand!
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

How would the WideOut trip with its wings out if what you say is true?
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Same as a full trip Vee.
  10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Like the BOSS V?
    My Western V's have trip edges...
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Right but the wide out is a full trip the XLS is a trip edge. The only thing identical between the Fisher and Western line is the Vee blade.
  12. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

How would it trip with the wings out? The wings cutting edges are a composite material that bends as the blade trips. I am positive that the wideout is a moldboard trip.
  13. dave leitner

dave leitner Junior Member

On the wideout the whole blade trips not just the cutting edge
  14. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Hey David let me draw you a picture.
  15. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

with the wideout the hole blade does trip and if the wings are out they will flatten out as the blade trips over because the preasure relief valves let let the fluid pass out so there is no damage