1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wide out vs 8.0 pro on 2500hd 2012

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tlrlc, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

i know this has probably been done before but i can't find it...
    new 2012 2500hd snow plow prep, z71 heavy duty trailering, 3.73, z75 suspension
    im getting a new western plow with it and have to decide between
    8.0 pro plow vs. wide out.
    i need to decide and tell dealer by tomorrow

my concern is if the truck had the stock FGAWR of 4800 they wouldnt put the wide out on
    but this truck has a 5200 fgawr so the quickmatch includes the wide out.
    plow dealer said its up to me but if i was having someone else plow with it go straight blade
    but i will be using this truck/plow 95% myself.
    my concern is reliability and added weight.
    8.0 pro weight is 668lbs
    wide out is 940lbs
    272 more pounds on front end.

my use now is mixed commercial, small private road development, residential driveways.
    i am looking to do more commercial work and phase out the driveways.
    thanks everyone
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Reg cab? Gas Engine? I'd put the wideout on or a 9 footer with wings.

It's more than 272# on the front axle. Leverage.....
  3. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

its a 6.0 gas crew cab standard (6.5') bed
  4. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Why wouldnt you go with the wideout? Its way more productive than a straight blade. Stick it on there and plow!
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8 foot bed is standard to me......
  6. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

chevy calls the 6.5 "standard" now and 8' is "long"
    if i need a bigger bed i will use my 1999 gmc 3500 dump body with a 10' bed.
  7. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Well you can always go with the 8.6 V-plow.
    That is a bit lighter than the wide out and faster plow time than a staight blade.
  8. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

Sorry not a fan of V plows.... It's either 8 straight or I splurge for
    Wide out....
    Appreciate the input though.
  9. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

go with the wideout its a 8ft blade and more when you need it:nod:
  10. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

Anyone out there actually have a newer 2500hd gm with a wide out
    ???? Thanks to everyone who responded already.
  11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I do.

I have a 2012 extended cab with a Duramax, so it's got the 6000 lb. front axle and it also has a leveling kit, so not really a fair comparison to your truck as far as carrying the plow. I had the plow on my 2011 Duramax (6000 lb axle as well) last season, and it did just fine with the stock front end with Timbrens and the bars cranked 5 turns or so. I've done three straight blade installs on 5200 lb axle gas trucks this season, and I will say that they don't quite carry the plows the way the 6000 lb axle truck does, even though theoretically, alot of the additional axle rating is consumed by the additional weight of the Duramax engine, so they should be about equal as far as weight carrying capacity on the front axle... but they don't seem to wind up that way.. Just my own observation. Not to say that I don't think you'd be just fine with Timbrens and your bars turned up.
  12. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

i tried searching and found 1 site that said the difference in weight between gas and diesel is 762 lbs.
    that sounds reasonable because the heavy front end for gas is 5200 and the diesel is 6000.
    so you think get the wide out with timbrens? thanks for the input
  13. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

not to get off topic but which leveling kit did you use and are you happy with it?
  14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The gas engine truck is available with the 6000 lb front axle. That would obviously have the greatest weight carrying ability. However, I do believe you'd be fine with your truck with the Timbrens and the bars cranked. The 2011 and up chassis is head and shoulders above the earlier trucks, and I see guys around with Wideouts on the earlier ones. Make no mistake sbout it... the Wideout is a heavy plow. You know it's on there, regardless of what truck it's on. But it's an efficient piece of equipment... far more than a regular straight blade.

Ready Lift. I also used their upper control arms with the corrected ball joint angle, their shocks, and their one inch rear block kit. So far, so good.

15. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

yeah the 6000 front end would have been great but im signing for the truck in a couple hours....
    and i only saw the 6000 in diesels none in the gas. im sure thats a special order....
    so i just got off phone with dealer im going for the wide out but the dealer is having the supplier put timbrens on at the same time.
    wow that truck looks great. the lift/leveling kit is def. on the list of things to do.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the only difference between the FAWR is the T-Bar itself. Frame, control arms, chassis/steering components, hubs, brakes, etc are all the same.

Properly installed Timbrens will make up the difference in T-Bar spring rate