1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide Out Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hambrick & Co., Aug 11, 2010.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a new truck (2009 F250 PSD) and I am looking at purchasing a Western Wide out(W/O). I have read some of the comparisons between theW/O and a V plow as well as other threads on the W/O but have heard of there being problems with the W/O's. So before I buy I would like to hear from those who have one or thought about having one. I do mostly open lots so I think the 8 to 10 feature would be great. Any thoughts good or bad on this blade. Thanks in advance Mike

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Have had one in front of a 1ton dump going on 3rd season this winter. No problems, works great. I have done a side by side comparison on carrying capacity in scoop with it next to a 9.2 Boss V, they are very close...add the wings to the boss and it wins. When it comes to windrowing the WO is far superior. Lots of threads here on PP's and Vplows advantages/disadvatages.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

personal prefference seems to be the biggest factor in a snowplow. a v blade has advantages in large lots and devided row plowing. a widoute has advantages in large lots and driveways. plowing style and knowledge of plowing will determine wich plow is best.

having sold many of both plows, it seems to be a matter of prefference. some customers have both plows and seem equally happy.

if you can find someone to let you ride along you will see the advantage of both.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Can someone answer me this, how does the Wide-Out hold up in transport? Does it bounce around when hitting frost heaves like the usual chain lifts, or did they fix that? I'm not crazy about 1,000 lbs. doing the bunny hop on my front axle. How is the blade holding up overall?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

6. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Oh, and if somebody was keeping a Wide Out long term, wouldn't you have problems with getting the nasty and salt in the plow body itself when the wing retracts? If you have a problem, how exactly do you pull those inner wings out?

7. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

so far not one problem with my wideout..love the way it handles and the way it holds snow it.. no better plow for windrowing..

8. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Cool, but does it bounce around like a typical chain lift while driving around on bumpy roads?

9. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

compared to my 8' ultramount ..no it does bounce.. but weighing more it stays pretty good... dont get me wrong you hit a big enough bump..yea it gonna bounce on ya

10. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

A 9'2" Boss V with Boss wings

wins, and adds a little versatility, just my .02

11. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Now knowing that it will move around when hitting bumps, I find it unacceptable to have 1000 lbs.+ moving around on my front end. Guess I'm going for that 9' 2" after all. It really is an awesome plow though, but I'd take the Blizzard variation with the direct lift any day, even if it is a bit heavier. I just don't have a close Blizzard dealer nearby. My personal philosophy is chain lift is fine...up to a point. After that, direct lift all the way for 2500 - 5500 trucks.

12. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

with blizzard though if you have a problem with your plow, your gonna work to get it up to move and go fix like the western.. i had a blizzard blow and sold it within 2 months of usings it.. had numerous problems, no recoil shock. and getting out in very cold weather to wrap a chain around it and the head light just to get it home cause the motor went out on it wasent very fun either..

13. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I love my wideout!. The only mod I would make to it are the cutting edges on the wings. Call jerre on those cause they have curb guards built-in to them. As far as bouncing is concerned it really doesn't but I'm comparing it to a older uni mount

14. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Wideout

I've used my wideout for two winters now, this last winter I had to have a bunch of things done
    1. The rubber cutting edges wore out.. typical expected..
    2. had to have about ten little broken welds on the plow welded up.
    3. had the seals on the raise / Lower ram replaced.
    4. had two valves go bad one went bad due to pressure.. dealer think its due to hitting frost heaves, when the plow goes up and drops back down the pressure I guess is put on this valve, so it was actually expanded a little..
    5. If you look on the wide out, the two post that go up to the light bar, actually hold the back of the lift arm, well those to upright bars are very thin steel, well where the bars bolt on to the plow frame that area the welds actually cracked off.. I have pictures its crazy..
    Right in between two storms I got it in the garage trying to weld it all back together..
    6. Oh yeah and those cheesy little stick on plastic slides.. argh they last like two snow storms, before they start peeling off, I finally had a local plastic place make me up a dozen extras.. the plow takes four, two on each wing..

last year I was a little rougher on it, I had a lot more customers, and no more help, so it was nonstop for 48+hrs, so yeah it got a work out, but I am not out there beating it on rocks and curbs..

I do like the settup on the wideout where the pump is mounted below the lights, where the blizzard is down on the A frame, but I think the wings are stronger as well as the rest of the plow.. on the blizzard, I bought a used 8611lp last fall, and I have really enjoyed it so I think from now on I am going to stick with the blizzard.
    As for plow configuration, having a wideout or blizzard equivalent, saves alot of time on jobs especially large lots..

BTW.. folks with the wideout watch out for cracks around the bolts that hold the light bar on the plow mount, I have seen three of them with that problem at our local western dealer!!
    :gunsfiring:

15. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

^^^

I am with you. I would rather have an 810 Blizz rather than a V but there are no Blizzard dealers around me.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not as crazy as you think or even anything new. Broken lift frames have been a problem with the Ultra's for years and years. Just one of the past threads that came to mind: Ultra issues

If you dig around there's more dating back further if you want more examples.