1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide-out plow module anomaly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Here is a challenge that Western tech support couldn't answer..... I have a customer with a Wide-out that flashes the red light on the controller indicating communication error. First thing I did was eliminate all things used to communicate between the handheld and the plow module. I replaced both the controller and the plow module as well as all the wires in between. Same problem. Then I started pulling plugs from the plow module. I found that with the B port unplugged the communication error stopped and when I pushed left or right angle I could hear the valves clicking. Next I put the B plug back in and pulled the two fuses one at a time. Now I see that the fuse labeled "sense" on the schematic is causing the problem. When that fuse is pulled out the plow works but if it is in we get the communication error. The two wires to the fuse both come directly from the B port plug. I have no access to the internal schematics of the plow module and neither did the Western tech support dude. As he suggested, I tried a new B port harness and made sure battery voltage was up but still no change. :realmad:

Does anyone know what that "sense fuse" does and why it would cause a communication error? :help:

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

could the module itself simply be bad? do you have one to test with?

3. mishnick

Way ahead of you my friend... tried a new module and handheld controller first thing, and then all the cables in between that are associated with the communication. Still comes down to that fuse.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

fusebox issue? iv seen circutry do some freakin weird things. you wont find it untill you test EVERY single part of hte plow.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

hey nick,,,,,is that fuse for the "sense" on the wings??? like when the wings are out and you press the "retract" button??

6. mishnick

"fusebox issue? " Maybe.... But before I stray off into the realm of the wierd things I would like to know exactly what that sense fuse feeds. If only I could find someone who has access to internal schematics on that module.

"is that fuse for the "sense" on the wings???" There are no sensors on the wings, nor is there any kind of sensor on the hydraulic assembly. The only wires going to hydraulics are the coil wires that activate the valve cartraiges and to the main motor relay of course. But those are all simple outputs.... that all work when the fuse is out. I suspect that this sense fuse has something to do with the multiplex function of the plow module. But again, when it's out the multiplex communication works, when it's in the socket the controller flashes slow and continuous indicating communication failure.

7. dieselss

So maybe the multiplex,,,,its feeding the pwr to the brain to sense that the controller is hooked up?

8. mishnick

But the multiplex works when that fuse is out and communication fails when I put the fuse back in. That's the anomaly! I too believe the fuse is associated with multiplex but why does it work when the fuse is removed??? This is a gooder and I am going to try contacting Western again and see if they can ask one of their elusive engineers if they would please tell us what that fuse does.

9. dieselss

Lmao. I'd be axing them for a rep to be here. But there prob Gunna tell you its one of them over the shoulder fuses .....lol

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Switch on the light tower?? Or wire pinched going to switch?

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Just from a logic standpoint and no real experience......

I would say the circuit is getting completed without the fuse somewhere. As soon as you put the fuse in, it senses a short.

That's the only way I can figure how it would work when the fuse is out.