1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide out electrical issue! Need help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jaxx, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

We have a wideout that only works when the headlight harness is unplugged, when the headlight connection is made the headlights do not change over and the controller does not work at all until you unplug the 11pin harness. Once the headlight harness is unplugged the controller and all plow functions operate normally. I've swapped out the plow controller and have tried the truck hooked up to another wide out plow so I think I have it narrowed down to the truck harness.
    Any useful insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

i copied this from another plowsite.com member as my problem is the same
  2. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

the plow is on a 2009 ford F250 3 port 2 wire set up
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Did this wide-out ever work or is it a brand new install on that truck? The headlight plug has a wire on the plow side of the plug that loops right back to the truck and then goes to ground. When it's plugged in it is supposed to complete a curcuit that activates the plow. I am wondering if there is a reversed polarity issue at the battery? This would cause power to flow backwards through the isolation module and then cancel that same current when the plow lights are plugged in. Just a thought. Let us know if it is a new install or one that previously worked right and we will dig a little deeper.
  4. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

This plow work at the end of last winter on the same truck
  5. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

i have tested all 11 wire on the truck side when disconnected from the isolation module port A
    by grounding one side of the harness and test light to power on the other thinking it was a cut or shorted out black and orange wire but no all wires working fine
  6. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

what is single-pin connector on vehicle lighting harness
    in the troubleshooting guide it say to make sure it is connected
    i don't know what is meant by this i will check back tomorrow and may be able to add more info
    thank you for your help
  7. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

Problem was found the red power wire that runs the battery to the fuses has a short. Their is a four wire harness run from near the battery on the passenger side of the truck to the drive side of the truck on each side has a black 4 pin connection and then run to the two 10amp fuses these always have power as the power comes right from the battery and power the module.
    ----------Please note-------- anyone reading this that this harness may or may not be needed in all installation as i do believe it is not need if the isolation module is mount closer to the battery or the truck was equipped with a second battery as this look to be an extension wire use for this truck set up ford 2009 f250 gas truck one battery

Also it go to show that sometime you need to re-check the obvious or things you already check
    as power to all side of both 10amp fuses was the one of first things i check.
    however having to dig out the wire from behind the head light may have made this this connection intermittent and work at the time i was testing. ]
    It all seen easy now. 7 hours of time later.