1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wide out electrical issue! Need help please!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nps1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. nps1

nps1 Junior Member
    from Syr

We have a wideout that only works when the headlight harness is unplugged, when the headlight connection is made the headlights do not change over and the controller does not work at all until you unplug the 11pin harness. Once the headlight harness is unplugged the controller and all plow functions operate normally. I've swapped out the islolation module & plow controller and have tried the truck hooked up to another wide out plow so I think I have it narrowed down to the truck harness that runs from controller to the headlight connection on the plow unless there is something else Im not thinking of?

Any useful insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hmm, that is wild! Is it possible that you have done or had done some electrical work on the truck over the summer? Did this truck ever work correctly or is it a new install? Since the curcuit that activates the plow controls and isolation module is supposed to find its ground through the light plug I suspect a power polarity issue. Seems perhaps that power is flowing backwards through the isolation module activating the relays when that ground curcuit is lost. Then when you plug in the lights that alian power flow is rerouted to ground canceling out the current flow through the isolation module. I would check the two main connections at the battery, check the plugs at the isolation module to be sure they are in the right place and check those two little black square plugs with the four pins to be sure they are not rotated somehow. They are keyed but if you tried real hard a preson might be able to plug them in wrong. I am going to find my wide-out book and study this. Maybe I can come up with some other ideas. Stand by.....

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Do you have the three or four port isolation module?

4. Jaxx

Jaxx Junior Member

i am having the same problem as nps1
    the truck is a 2009 ford 250 the plow was working last season three port isolation module
    i notice when i unpluged the ground wire near the isolation module the plow would work
    when i plug that wire back the controler would shut off. i belive the same thing would happen when i disconnect the headlight harness. If any one comes up with this answer please post

5. nps1

nps1 Junior Member
    from Syr

Thank you for the help. I did found the problem. A small wire that goes to the battery had melted against
    a hot radiator clamp over the summer and was arcing at that point. Made the repair and all is good now.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for letting us know what the fix was. Glad you found it and it wasnt that hard, or expensive!!! Do you know what color wire it was?