1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wich v-box spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nj plower, Oct 4, 2008.

1. nj plower

nj plower Junior Member
    from nj

i'm looking to purchase a new 8' v-box gas powered spreader in steel and can't deside on a brand. what do you guys think is the better one of the 4? or wich do most of you guys have?

any input would be great thanks.
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I have had 2 8ft airflos for 12 years now.One with a Honda, the other with a Briggs. We replaced bushings once, and that's about it. We wash them after every use, and they stay stored inside. Both have been dependable salters. Our 16 yard Downeaster is hydraulic, and besides a pump issue at manufacturing, has proven quite reliable as well. Cant speak about the other brands from experience.
  3. nj plower

nj plower Junior Member
    from nj

4. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I've ran a 10' Stainless buyers v-box for the past 2 years without any problems. I do not have any experience with the other brands but for the cost savings the buyers has been a good buy.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I run Smith Electrics so can't help with your choices
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Go with a Downeaster Stainless electric, you can't buy a better more bulletproof spreader, only problem I've ever seen is without a speed controller I seemed to break alot of spinner pins, losing the spinner from all the full speed start/stops. I lost one in the middle of a storm once and didn't find it until spring.........gotta carry a spare spinner or at least pins and salt with the window open and listen to the music.