1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wich of these trucks should I get?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1BadHawk, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Which of these three truck do you think would be good for starting out?
    The Chevy I have already seen and driven. Drives good, lots of power, body, and interior in good condition minus a seat tear. Significant amount of rust on rear bumber and engine compartment. And it has high miles. 180k. Veh History report shows only one owner and no accidents. This vehicle I can get for 5k

The other truck I have not seen, both are newer with less miles then the chevy. The F250 has some body rust, and the condition of the plow blade is unknown at this time. The Dodge(I prefer) looks in excellent condition, minus couple door dings and a small seat tear. Price for each of these is 6500-6700 but both appear to be somewhat negotiable in price.

WHich do you think of the three would be a better vehicle for starting out a business with?

One other key thing. The Chevy I can get for 5k and it has already passed state inspection. So I wont have to wory about any costly repairs or fixes right away.
    The other two vehicls are private sellers and will need state inspection
    at a cost of $75, plus whatever needs to if anything be fixed. The dodge recentyl went through NJ ispection so Im not too worried about it and the Ford I think has also been through NY inspection but Im not sure how they both compare to MD inspections.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Neither of the Ebay trucks have the mileage on truck listed which is not too cool and no telling what they will actually go for too. I would not buy a truck at auction for several K dollars without first hand inspecting it myself. The first one, the chevy with 180K would not be bad if it was 2 to 3 K cheaper. The owner has gotten their moneys worth out of that truck and is just looking to make a profit. I would keep looking otherwise.
  3. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

The F250 has 157k miles
    The Ram2500 has 127k miles.
    The Chevy has 180k Miles, asking 4999
  4. Tarkus

Though I am a fan of big strong solid axles in front, I also like how smooth the steering is plowing with a GM IFS truck when in a turn with its CV joints in front axle verse the ujoint whip you can get with a solid axle in a tight turn under power. It can spoil you. Now if they would just put CV joints in a solid front axle.
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

1BadHawk: I wish I had the answer for you, but it's a crapshoot. I have tried both new and used. New truck are tough due to the depreciation and damage done to them in an average workday. I have bought 200k trucks w/ 200k on them (complete with the plow) and gone 50k with minimal repairs. I have also thrown 1000s at a truck thinking THIS has to be it. And after all the repairs I could have made payments on a new truck. With the new or newer, truck you have less mechanical issues and have increased liability. For the last few years, I have been going with low mileage, 4 year old trucks. The original owners tok the hit on the depreciation but the truck is still strong. On the lower end, 100k plus mile trucks, there are alot of buyers out there with 4 or 5k cash, or they can put it on a credit card, so sometimes the values on these can be somewhat inflated. Also check you insurance costs before buying. Some of my newer trucks cost the same as the older trucks on insurance. Good luck, it's a tough decision.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is a hard decision. I don't like to buy a used plow truck. The tranny could go at any time. Big $$. Up here there are a lot of 2 year old trucks that guys bought on 0% that can't make the payments and they are going cheap. If you were going to pay cash for one of those trucks I would leave all that money in the bank and try to buy the newest one I could. There were posts a month ago about how cheap brand new Fords were selling for. I think you could get a great deal on a new 04' if you could still find one. Most likely 0% also. JMO Repairs are expensive but the down time might be the end without a back up plan.
  7. Tarkus

When looking at a used plow truck you want to pull dip stick from tranny and smell fluid (automatic) and if it smells burnt or like peanut butter walk away, also if fluid is badly discolored too. Yes someone can change fluid in a bad tranny before thay sell it but it is hard to lose that burnt smell even if you do.
  8. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

For a plow truck, I'd stick with the simplicity and beef of a solid front axle. I'd probably go with the Dodge just for that reason. Less stuff to go wrong, better ride, and cheaper to repair. Also the 360's are a beast of an engine.

My 2nd choice would be the Ford, that looks like a nice solid truck. Many don't like the TTB front end. They are just as tuff as a solid axle and they share all the same parts so fixing a busted u-joint is a cheap proposition. I'm partial to Fords myself though. Only thing is that Fords tend to get a little loose in the steering dept as they age.

Stay away from the Chevy! To many miles for way to much money. Trucks liek that around here top out at $3000 or so even with a plow. Then your dealing with a wore out IFS that rides and drives terrible... The 350 is a good motor though if taken care of. We have one at work that all original with 220k miles on it that still runs good.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The Chevy would be considered a bargain around here, especially if the plow was on it (didn't read it that carefully). We still have 88-90's going for around that in decent shape. Bumpers are easy to repaint or replace very cheaply too. Don't be too concerned about the 350 engine either, with reasonable care they will go a long long way, and the TBI engine (95 is the last year for it) is pretty close to being as simple as a carbed engine to swap if necessary, not to mention parts are a dime a dozen.

Didn't look at the others (I'm on dialup :cry: ).

Truth is, only you know how much you are willing to spend on this endevor. You can always get a lemon no matter how much you spend, so look it over carefully... for this reason I don't recommend buying sight-unseen.
  10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I would get that dodge in a heart beat, but however..... BE AWARE, that has high miles therefore the trans might be starting to go out, esspissally sense it was a plow truck.... so make sure, double and tripple check the transmition for any kinds of signs of wear, make sure the gears dont slip or any of that, look at the fluid make sure it is 100% red. and make sure it shifts okay. but if you look at the 2001's you should be set, dodge finally got there trannys right from 2001 and up :)

Im a big dodge fan, and jeeze if there was a truck like that around here b4 i bought my ford, i would have bought that dodge in a heart beat!

good luck on what ever choice you choose and just make sure you get the tranny looked at.
  11. Tarkus

Honestly the TTB front end is a bit of a joke. It wear tires funny even when new and can handle squirrlely on uneven roads and with a plow on it can get worse yet and about uneven tire wear too. It is not a strong front end over all and should not be compared to a regular D44 in durabilty. You mention that GM rides terrible? It is a dream compared to a ford TTB front end plus no ujoint whip lash in tight turns under power. I have seen GM IFS go 200 k miles and do fine (and they are easy to repair when needed) and a friend of mine has a F150 TTB that never has had a plow on in its life or big tires and it has always eaten tires and after 180K the front end is loose as a goose too and he does not abuse trucks either. Then only weaken of the GM front end is if you overload it too much or abuse it like some do in truck pulls for which I would use a striaght front axle. I had my resevations about my first GM IFS truck several years ago they are by far the best handling truck I have driven with or without a plow attached it handles crisply and with confidance which is more than I can say for a TTB front end and I do not miss the ujoint whip lash feed back either in a tight turn. Now if they would just put a CV joint in a solid axle it would make a good compromise.
  12. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

They all sound pricy to me , I am in Md I know there are better deals than that out there , I paid 5000.00 for my International low profile diesel with 160,000 miles ( i had a plow) Just picked up a ram charger for $ 500.00 and all it needed for inspection was a front brake line and 2 tires. Rust is the biggest killer , when you do repairs its harder , longer and more expensive to work with rusty parts. Check out the sun paper , look for the auctions .
  13. intlco

intlco Senior Member

All 3 of them trucks are overpriced in my opinion. Out here, a gas truck with 100K you can't even give away. Alot of dealers have trucks with 100K that are only 2 years old and they will deal just to sell them.
    Especially if they got the big block motors, or V-10 Super Duties.
    All of the cowboys or ranchers only want diesels.
    A 2001 V-10 Super Duty Ext. Cab F250 w/100K brings max $9000.
    Older then 2000 will bring under $4000.
    Also, they don't salt out here, so none of the trucks here have rust and since people here gotta drive 350 miles to next town, most miles are HWY.
    Truck prices are cheapest in the Dakotas.