1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wich gauges do i get?.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by zjm, Jan 5, 2010.

1. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Whats a good set of gauges to put in place where the grab handle is on driver side.
    Fuel press. gauge/tranny temp and one other that you may think is important to have that applies to plowing.

Thanks Tim

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have Autometer, but Isspro and DiPricol are a closer match to the factory gauges.

I would include a pyrometer as your third gauge.

3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Thanks Jon,
    have any links for them

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

same here i have the auto meter phantoms but i hear isspro's have better lights. id get a 40 psi boost min. i can bury my 35 psi gauge :drinkup:

5. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Anyone try the Edge Juice with attitude set-up from DiPricol?
    It doesnt look like it comes with a gauge for the fuel pressure.

Tim

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

You really don't need the FP gauge. I would go with trans temp, boost, and pyro(exhaust temp)
    Robert

7. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I thought these dodges were known for the lift pump to crap out. Am i mistaken? Thougthit would be a good idea to have one to keep an eye on it,unless my 3rd generation one isnt prone to that.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have DiPricol Optix. EGT, Boost, Trans, Fuel Pressure and Rail Pressure.

Isspro is probably the way I would go if I could do it over because DiPricol hasn't been known for great customer service, and sometimes it can take awfully long to get your gauges.

Your 04 Dodge came with the fuel pump mounted to the fuel filter canister under the hood. This is a very weak pump. Mine failed at 54,000 miles. The dealer relocated it into the tank for me for $0 under warranty. The intank pump is much more reliable, and stronger. I guess it depends if you have had this repair yet. If you are going to be doing much modding to your engine, I would suggest the FP gauge.

I would strongly suggerst EGT, Boost, and Trans temp.

Fuel pressure is more for reliability and trouble shooting more than anything.

Rail Pressure gauge only if you add a pressure box that raises the pressure.

I love gauges.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

zjm,

I agree with you on needing to keep an eye out on lift pump status with a fuel pressure gauge. Fuel pressure was the first gauge I installed on my '01. As I watched it one day slowly drop from 17 psi to around nine I knew my lift pump was dying. Sure enough, the next weekend I could'nt start it, dead LP. Replaced it and it still would'nt start. The dead LP took the injection pump with it.

I put my FP gauge on and didn't listen to it.

On a Dodge diesel, I'm with you. Install a fuel pressure, a tranny temp and EGT gauge.

The Boost gauge is the luxury item used for diagnostics purposes and the one you can go without. Losing manifold pressure is a pretty easy diagnosis.

10. rob_cook2001

Lift pumps were problems on the 98.5-02 trucks, the 03-09's have a much better pump. I have seen 03's-04's with well over 200k on the factory lift pump. If it was a 2nd gen I would say do it right away but unless your making big power I would not worry about a FP gauge.
    Robert

11. JDiepstra

I would be more apt to agree with this post as the info is more accurate pertaining to a 3rd gen although I would not expect the stock pump on on 03 - 04.5 to last 100K.

It's the 2nd gens with the VP-44 that are critical to monitor fuel pressure. If your lift pump dies on the 3rd gen, the truck just stops running. If it fails on a 2nd gen, it also usually wipes out the expensive VP-44.

12. rob_cook2001

On a stock truck they will live well over 100k miles (03 and newer trucks) Now with the demand of hot tuning and bigger injectors they will not live LOL.
    And like you said, if the fuel pump quits it is not going to hurt the Cp3.
    Robert

13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Get an electric sending unit trans temp gauge, then order an extra sending unit for it. Install the extra temp sensor in the oil pan.
    Now get yourself a 3 way toggle switch and use that to switch which temp your guage reads:
    a. tranny temp
    and
    b. oil temp

kind of a 2 for one deal and both are of good importance for minimal money/effort:cool:

14. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

On my old 98.5 24v I had on the pillar trans temp (automatic), boost gauge, and pyro. On the steering column I had fuel pressure. Looked like a dam airplane cockpit and I loved it!

If I had to buy gauges right now I would get autometer cobalt 2's they look unreal at night, have a few buddies with em...

15. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

LOL, i know the feeling. The volt guage is out of view in the left hand HVAC vent out of camera range. If i was to do it all over, i'd just buy a race pak set up...dang near same money with possibilites to expand and record 32 different sensors....you just have to buy sensors seperately.

[​IMG]

16. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Looks Sweet!!:salute:

17. rob_cook2001

Ill have to take some pics of my race truck when I finish the gauges. All autometer Cobalts
    boost(1-100) Drive pressure(1-100) fuel pressure, rail pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, trans temp,pyro, and nos pressure. 4 on the pillar, 3 above the mirror, and 3 on the dash. :}

18. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

This is a perfect scenario for using a Race Pak set up since it's just one screen you can center mount and have complete control over all monitoring functions....you add up all the guages/sensors, time/material to mount guages/plumb them your going to meet and most likely exceed the Race Pak set up. Because lets be honest, when we're on a run...guages are never watched since your too busy paying attention to the job at hand anyhow- driving it LOL!! so having 10 guages spread around can be eye candy it's also too much wandering on the eye's to be effeicent when it could all be mounted in 1 LCD screen center mast or whereever.

Race Pak Link

[​IMG]

19. rob_cook2001

I agree with you, the gauges are really only used for tuning on the dyno. When racing the only ones I watch are boost and oil pressure.... when I don't forget lol.
    I like to glance at the pyro but it usually just scares me hahah. I have watched it hit 2100 degrees.

20. JDiepstra

Time for a second turbo?????????