1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MGoBluePlow!, Nov 22, 2006.

1. MGoBluePlow!

MGoBluePlow! Junior Member

Why did you guys choose Chevy trucks? I'm not trying to start a flame war, I am just looking for some real answers.

2. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

Out of the big three, chevy was the only one that fit the need with horsepower and options. I have been a diehard mopar man for years. If I was to buy a diesel, it would have been a Dodge. Chevy mileage is better than the other two. The Hemi is a joke of truck motor, unless you have a pretty 1500 and drive it to the mall. The ford 5.4 with a manual tranny could not get out of its own way. I am very happy with my choice. I spent about four months driving and researching. The price was right also. Decide what the truck is going to be used for, and then compare the options to what is going to work for you. I hope this helps.

3. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

i gues i could rebutt that, why the dodge for diesel? do you like the big rig noise that scares all the 1500s going to the malls? the 5.9 is really underpowered for towing and with the turbo lag on that motor i doubt itd get out of its own way either.....watching a 5.4 and a 5.9 are like watching a slug race

and yeah ill agree if the price is right and you get as much truck for the money as you can who cares what it is

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I was on the market for a used truck to plow and do dirty/heavy errands. I wanted an extended cab so I could put my family in it too and Chevy/GMC offered by far the longest interior in my price range. Thats pretty much the only reason I was looking specifically at Chevy trucks.

5. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Since I was a little kid my father had tried every different truck there was out there and only had any luck with chevys. Every ford we had car or truck had lots of problems. When I started driving I owned a 93 Blazer, I rolled it over and the truck only had a few small dents in it and I walked away unharmed, it started right back up too!! Since then I have owned a 94' reg cab long bed 2500 w/ 237,000mi. and still ran like a champ (still does) I sold that and bought an 02' GMC sierra 2500hd w/ and 8.1L and allison 5spd. In my opinion they are jsut as dependable as any other truck out there, and they hands down have the best engine/tranny combos for most of their vehicles, the trucks handle and ride great too. Not only that but I liek the way they look the best. Hope that sums it up:)

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I like the Duramax/Allison combo.

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

in short they make sense to me. i do all my own work on my vehicles and have been forever. when i look at a ford or dodge its almost chinese to me, im always saying "why the hell did they put that there" or "why the hell did they use that for this". i know chevys like the back of my hand. plus out of the new trucks(10yrs old or less) its the best, i dont know anyone that owns either dodge or ford gas or diesel thats hasnt replaced his trans or engine before 100,000miles. i myself had a 1999 chevy 6.0 that i put 130,000miles on it with just oil changes and then i sold it so it might still be driving around to this day with just oil changes. plus ive had 2 1990 chevys with 350tbi that had/have well over 150,000miles. they might not be the fastest or have the heaviest payload but they do what they do damn good and for a long time.

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

1) Parts are easy and cheap to find on Chevy
    2) Dodge makes trucks ???
    3) Ford breaks big parts often and they cost a ton
    4) Dodge Trans suck
    5) Chevy has a nicer ride.
    6) I turn the key and my Chevy runs ( 102K '97 )
    7) Dodge makes turcks ???
    8) Ford I have found costs a few K more on average
    9) Dodge body and frame ... ever see one after an accident ... nothing left
    10) It's paid for :)

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well my gear is all older, so I'm not sure if my answer is what you are looking for, but here goes. I've always been a Chevy/GMC fan because they are:

a) Tough as nails...
    b) Easy to work on...
    c) Reasonably priced to buy parts for...
    d) Incredible in the way of part interchangability...
    c) Very well designed... (mostly, though sometimes I ask myself WHY did they do it like this??)

Probably doesn't hurt that dad spent almost 42 years working for GM in St. Catharines and we've always had GM vehicles with almost no problems. Certainly never any to complain about! As far as performance goes they were always the best bang for the buck, and really there were no other brands here that could consistantly beat them anyways.

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Really? I've come to see it in this order:
    Dodge is the cheapest, Ford is next, then Chevy, and then GMC is the most expensive.

11. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I wanted a duramax but couldn't afford one. So I spent months trying to find a used powerstroke. then I gave up after only finding one 4x2 in all that time.
    The Ford Superdutys all had 5.4's and that isn't enough power in my opinion for that truck, beside I didnt want the ford transmission problems either.
    So Chevy was really the only choice I had, since I wanted power and dependablity.
    And of course Dodge never entered my thinging, as I really want a tough truck.
    Beside my old Chevy truck has 180K miles, and still running the same engine and transmission that came from the factory, and never rebuilt. I have put breaks on it twice, one alt, two starters, I'm running my third set of tires.
    That truck is built tough and it still is.
    So Chevy was really my only choice.

12. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I've always been a bowtie boy. Even have a tattoo. When looking for my newest truck I had been thinking about a ford, kinda like the front end on them. While reading over on the ford diesel message board the owners were mixed with their 6 litre trucks. Seems like luck of the draw weather yours is good or not. Seems some people rather have the old 7.3 rather than a 6 litre.

Dodge is well dodge, engine is cool, auto trans sucks, manual comes with a derated engine.

So in the end I stuck with what I have had good luck with and the LBZ duramax and allison 6 speed are the cats ass.
    Only thing I'm not a big fan of is the IFS front end but it does get a nice ride because of it.

13. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I have always been a Chevy Guy you could say but what really solidified it for me was when I was working as a mechanic for a large construction firm in our area. Their fleet vehicles were Ford. It was one of the first times I had to work on Fords and I couldnt believe how much harder it was to work on them. This was in the mid to late 90s and we had a ton of the 5.0, 5.8 trucks with the flopped over lookig efi setup. It was murned working on the left side of that engine.

As far as reliablility, I dont really believe any truck is any more relieable than another. If this was the 60's or the 70's I would swing towards GM but now its a level playing field in my opinion. Im a die hard Chevy guy and I probably always will be. Good pricing, Good resale, and lets face it, it matches all my other chevy stuff on the wall :)

I will give it to Ford. I like thier styling on the Super Duty's, I always have. But always hated the Powerstroke. And always hated the mileage you got with Ford gassers. Before the Duramax, If I wanted a diesel I would have bought a Cummins powerd Dodge in a second. But after driving my buddies 2nd Gen ram through the Black Hills and it was WEEEEEEZING pulling a empty snowmobile trailer I would have never thought of buying a Dodge Gasser. Chevy....well the one thing that pisses me off is they build the doors SO damn heavy the pins and bushings go out. Also my last three pickups engines, 2 half tons w 5.7's and a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 start to sound like a diesel after about 80 or 90,000 miles. Whats with the noise. Dont even get me started on burning coolant either. Oh well....I have ranted for a bit here...

14. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

:nod: Knock on wood I havn't had to re-seal my intake yet on my 98 5.7. Know lots of people who have had problems.

15. suzuki4life

suzuki4life Junior Member

i have a 98' chevy 2500 5.7 gasser with 80K and the intake gasket has been replaced, i think i need a new waterpump also. But other than that these things are bulletproof. Pulling (and more importantly STOPPING) large landscaping trailers like they arent even there. Also ive been amazed at its highway fuel econ. Pulling a 7000lb dual axle trailer doing 65mph it gets about 16mpg. Empty ive done as high as 23 on the highway.

wouldent buy any other truck

16. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

Back in the mid to late '90s we needed a new wrecker 4x4. Dodge was completely out of the question due Major frame issues specifically to wrecker upfitting. Chevy was our next option but the local dealer did not want to get involved with up-fitting. So we went with a Ford. Truck to date only has about 35k miles on it but very hard miles. We had issues with the brakes o n the truck and ford would not do anything. Even tried to talk to the higher ups and they said due to the up-fitting the truck is being used for this it was not meant to do. Other than that the truck has been very reliable. Nothing but brakes (lots) and one complete set of ball joints.

Time came to buy a plow truck (pick-up) 2000-2001. Ford was an option but still had a bad taste in mouth. Went with a Chevy.

This truck was going to be a main plow truck.

Reasons for getting a Chevy:

Dealer close by, already have a parts account there.

Chevy (OEM) parts come very quick if not in stock, most time next day with out charge for shipping.

Turning radius is very tight. Was not considered when purchasing but really noticed it after a few uses plowing.

All in all the truck has been very reliable. With almost 100k very little trouble, suspension is all original except for one upper ball joint, boot ripped for mud. Engine 6.0l is noisy but seems to be fine.

For light duty truck I would by a Chevy again.

Derek

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Local dealer had bought out a another Chevy franchisee and offered me a deal on the one remaining 2500HD from that buyout - $10,000 off a $32,000 truck. Since it was the configuration I'd been looking for (gas, 3/4 ton, regular cab & long bed), I couldn't pass it up. Especially when the wife told me "You really should get this truck":D .

18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I like the looks, I would never touch a Ford, I dont like the way Dodge's drive, I dont like the Dodge interior, and i've always wanted a chevy. Now i have 2, and i like em both.

19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Because I didn't want a FORD who needs a Funky Old Rusty Dodge.:D

RCGM
    Brad

20. No Moa

No Moa Junior Member

Wife works for a GM dealer!