1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cja1987, Feb 8, 2005.

1. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Why do people drive around with their plows on when there is no snow to plow? Ill be on the highway at times when it has not snowed for 2 weeks and none is in the forecast and I still see idiots carrying their plows around. You would think that if your traveling 15 Miles+ from your house and its not snowing you would take your plow off. It takes all of 2 seconds. Iam amazed at the people who buy brand new trucks with plows that you can mount/dismount in 20 seconds and they still drive EVERYWHERE with the plow attached. How stupid can you be? All the stress on your truck, risk of damage and huge waste of gas. You see construction workers doing "other jobs" not related to snow removal and they still don't take the 30 seconds to take the plow off before going out to work. Since we all plow can anybody tell my why people do this? There is quite obviousley no snow to plow, nothing but frozen piles all over the place and nobody is moving them without a loader. Iam not talking about trucks that are just used for plowing and nothing else, I can uderstand leaving the plows on them for 4 Months but iam talking about daily drivers. The idiot that lives next to me puts his plow on Mid-November and does not take it off until April 1st AND he drives the truck everyday, its his only vehicle. What the hell is he using it for 90% of the time? My plows are off the second I finish!

Sorry For the Rant, this is a major complaint of mine, i hate to see guys stressing their trucks un needingly.
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Lazy !!!!!!!!!!
  3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I can understand the reasons for your rant but...

People could have a perfectly good reason for having their plow on. Taking it to a car wash, repair shop, transporting it to their shop. I dunno, I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions and calling "everyone" stupid.
  4. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Just to play devil's advocate, it could be because they have no place to put it.

I mean, let's say I rent a storage unit to store it in. Might be a PITA to drop it off. Or maybe they just don't trust weatherpeople.

Could also be a cheap way of advertising. Someone might see the plow and ask how much they charge.

Most of those new mounts come so completely off that you wouldn't even be able to tell that there could be a plow on it, right? I'm not too sure myself, just asking.
  5. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

who gives a s**t what they do with there plows when its not snowing, you shouldent need to worry about it, maybe they dont drive the truck very often only for plowing so they dont take it off!!
  6. mrusk

mrusk Junior Member
    from nj

1 reason- Joe Homeowner with a plow for his 50 ft driveway thinks he looks cool with a plow on his truck.

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Top Ten List

1. It's fun.
    2. Maybe they are transporting it?
    3. It would be much safer in the event of a front-end crash.
    4. You can show off the plow.
    5. you have no place to store it?
    6. If you do have a place to store it outside, someone may take it.
    7. You did not know it came off.
    8. You want to advertise your company.
    9. Little green men make you drive with the plow on :D
    10.As a child you were a boy scout so you are prepared for anything.
  8. Vaughn Schultz

Maybe they are homeless and the plow and truck is the only thing they have :confused:
  9. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

LMAO :bluebounc
  10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I am an Idiot.One of my 4 trucks has the blade on most of the winter.For no real reason.
  11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I understand all the reasons, Iam not stupid, Iam talking about people I watch on a daily basis that drive around everywhere with the plow. Then you have the people that will drive 30 Miles on the highway carrying the plow with no snow to be had. Construction workers who you would think it would be a nusience for them to drive around doing jobs with the plow on. construction workers who work on the Big Dig in Boston will drive in from 30 Miles away with their plows on and choose to drive through heavy traffic and narrow streets with their plows on as opposed to taking them off. Gas and stress on the truck should be enough to make them want to take them off. Not to mention its a PITA in traffic. Some people mentioned crash safety but i would not want my plow on in an accident, i don't need it getting damaged. If your not using the truck except to plow, I can see but otherwise why drive around with it? Company trucks have names on them with services that they provide, advertising is a poor excuse. Iam not saying it should be a law or something, they can have their plows on whenever they want, it just seems stupid. Its like putting it on in the middle of july and driving to the beach, what are you expecting to plow (don't say sand).
  12. Vaughn Schultz

Maybe their girlfriend thinks their plow is sexy?
  13. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Dang I must be the biggest idiot

I leave mine on year round, lmao at dude. Live on a farm with 6 vehicles. So I dont worry about it and really dont care what others think. Of course it dont get driven on the road anymore either. But when it did and I was gone at work 10 hours i would have to plow my 700 foot driveway to get home. I also use mine to bulldoze the gravel drive smooth during the summer and for moving dirt. So be free and do what you want it is your right. Plow on!

Copy of DSCF0021.JPG
  14. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Many of the plows you see on trucks all winter are the old fishers with the spring loaded pins,when they get old and rusty it can be a battle to get the plow off. I had a 30 mile errand for my dumptruck today i removed my plow(60 seconds) and remounted it when i was done(45 seconds) Snoway 9 ft.htd, downpressure & wireless remote. SNOWAY THE POWER PLOW!!!! :nod:
  15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well Scott I guess im a real idiot since I have 2 plows on my truck and I will not even think of taking them off for another month and a half. First of all it a real wrestling match to get the rear plow on and off so it says on for the entire season. Second of all I dont drive my truck unless Im plowing or Im gassing it up so I feel it is unnessary to pull the plow after every event. If my truck was an everyday driver then I would consider to pull the plow, but it isnt so Im not. And the the way the weather men forcast the weather around here Id be pulling the plow off the trucktwice as much as I should. Im not about to go out at 3 am to mount the plow. So call me what you will but Im not out here to impress anyone....Rob
  16. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

that truck is bad a ss, I have the same one in a black Laredo with a AMC 360 transplanted into it.
  17. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

The snow came off a metal roof of a customer on saturday, i had to hook up and move a rather larger pile. I hope no one saw me for i would not want to be called stupid.
  18. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

one real big reason could be maybe just maybe whoever runs the truck may not be able to take their plow off and on like they would like to. it could be that they have a disability and cant always do it themselves and dont want to bother a friend to help and they dont really go anywhere other than the doctors or the store and do a little plowing to make a little money to help pay bills.now if all i had to do was worry about why someone has left their plow on and get upset id be one happy camper. if thats the only thing you have to worry about then your definitely young and still learning. yeah im guilty of it. and i think you can figure out why i dont always take my plow off.sorry if it bothers you.
  19. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Stupid is as stupid does...
  20. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict