1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why you should never work on a running spreader...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Precedence, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

2. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

how is he going to work the plow control now?
  3. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Ouch, heard something about that on the news. Crappy way to lose the use of your hand.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

common sense is not his strong suit is it
  5. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Im a Sinner. Got my index finger caught in between a gear and chain on a running sweeper behind a 80Hp tractor, while greasing it. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Now any work I do like replacing shear pins on a snowblower behind the tractor, the tractor is shut OFF. My crushed finger is at about 70 percent function and I felt like a trapped rat while waiting for the ambulance to come a 12 minute wait. Good thing I was able to reach my cell phone cuz there was no one around.
  6. bubbles10

bubbles10 Member

i know this kid he is young and not using his head he did realize that when he freed the block that the back pressure from the hydro would make the spreader run
  7. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

its sad when people get hurt and the worst part is it WILL happen again in the future to someone somewhere and there's nothing you can do about it except learn and teach
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

He wont be able to point his finger at anyone for that, now will he.
  9. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf Member

gotta hand it to him, helluva way to add salt to his wounds....
  10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Now for all his daring feats he will have to say here hold my beer
  11. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

thanks for posting, I was just getting ready to post that, heard about it on the news last night, not too far from me. BE CAREFUL out there Guys!
  12. bubbles10

bubbles10 Member

ya i saw it last before i went made me think twice and i knew the kid an hes young like 18
  13. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Guy I knew was 35 when it happened to him, it happens in the blink of an eye.
    ****** way for the kid to learn a life lesson.
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I dropped a york rake on my finger when I was 12 or 13- helping free it from the 3 pt hitch on the tractor - man I though my finger was going to explode the way it swelled up!!!
    Taught me early, and fortunately with no lasting effects. Not to say I don't slip and do stupid things now and again...
  15. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

My grandfather has a stub for a middle finger on one hand due to a farm machinery accident. It's a good reminder for me to be more careful, although i admit i probably do sh!t sometimes that i shouldn't. Just have to try to use common sense, but accidents can happen anytime to anyone.