1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why you should have a Blizzard clause..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 9, 2006.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a very good article to pass along...thanks Grandview! :drinkup:
  3. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Ok... thats starting to freak me out.....
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I remember that week...we had 2 20"+ storms 4 days apart. My plow guy came and got his F350 almost stuck and had to send the guy over with the F550 just to make it to the top of my driveway. They had to do this 3-4 times for each storm that week just to keep my drieway passable for trucks, cars had insufficient ground clearance to be out in the storm...AWD or snow tires were irrelevant.

I've never had a plow guy offer me or even suggest a seasoanl price, they all charge per pass and per sanding, no sidewalks or shoveling offered. That one week cost me about $200, and thats a 400' driveway at $25 per pass, which I think most of the pros here wouldn't touch.
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I would like to see the actual cases to see if these were truly cases of gouging and failure to provide service. Or was this a case of mother nature overwhelming and some people who have no idea what it takes to keep up. That's a big problem with Buffalo. They get some real surprising weather. They don't get as much snow as in my area of the state, but when they do, it comes in Feet, it also can come early like in this case mid-oct, 2 feet. If I was in Buffalo my contracts would be per push, x$ per inch, and I would give no commitment for time expectency for residentials if over certain amount of snow in a short amount of time.

I think we should all take our snow contracts into consideration. This storm came so early that I would say you could protect yourself by dating the snow contract ex. 12/1-4/1. Anything outside of that they would have to pay extra to add it into a full service contract, or pay per event. I think if you discuss "an october snowstorm isn't covered, for an extra charge of $x it can be covered" this would help customers decide if they could stand to sit it out, dig out on their own, or pay for the unexpected. But if this is not discussed then the customer assumes that the good bargain you gave them includes snow removal 24 hours per day 365 days per year.

I think they should pay extra for freak storms. They should know ahead of time whether you'll be there for a freak storm.
  6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Good Post grandview.
    Thanks for the info. Glad I Covered My A%$
  7. LongTimer

LongTimer Junior Member

Seasonal Contracts

We always specify a contract period in a snow contact even by the inch. Usually Nov 1 - March 31. We will not take a seasonal contract unless it is at least 3 years. That way (hopefully) the work (snowfall) will average out over the years and neither us nor the customer will get hurt. Our preferred bid is by the inch. With some history you can make some good money and keep the client happypayup
  8. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I go by the inch as well .Did that say up to 100 dollars? If I would get a blizzard in Indianapolis I would gladly give all my 20 customers 1 hundred dollars each:D

Haven't had a blizzard here since 1978 I was 2