1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why you need to keeping looking at all times.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 23, 2010.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Very close to me I drive down this road all the time to go plow some of my lots. Don't have any other info yet.

Woman, 78, fatally struck by plow mounted on pickup
    January 23, 2010, 6:40 am /

A 78-year-old Depew woman was fatally injured at about 5:45 p. m. Thursday when struck by a plow mounted on a pickup near her Penora Street home, Depew police said.

Mary Ann Machnik died shortly before 8 p. m. in Erie County Medical Center. No charges were filed against the driver of the pickup.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

some people seem to operate with blinders on. Too bad.

3. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

no charges layed, pretty sure it wasn't the operator's fault...... still wouldn't want to go home with that on my shoulders

4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

I was referring to the both the old lady who may not have been paying and the plow guy. No One may never really know.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can't be too careful out there.

6. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I can see how that could happen so easy.

7. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Almost hit a woman myself. Middle of the night during a bigger snowstorm, driving down a 4 lane commercial street. Guy next to me starts screaming lady lady LADY, she was walking down along the right side of the road because the sidewalks were plowed under. Missed but to this day I dont know by how much. Wearing dark clothing, she was barely a shadow out there.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My biggest fear.

9. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Here in Omaha on Christmas Eve a young woman was killed in her apartment complex lot when the snow plow driver was backing up and ran her over.

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I see joggers all the time running down the street in the dark, early am. IDIOTS

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

happen to me not to lang ago driving to my first account and then i look up to only see this lady on the right side of the road, fist thing i do is say oh **** i could have been fed!

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It happened to a friend of mine 20+ years ago. He was heading out to plow at about 3am in a nasty storm... very poor visibility. At the last minute he saw a guy walking almost in the middle of the road... too late. Despite his best efforts to avoid him, he clobbered him with the plow and killed him. As it turned out, the guy was staggering drunk. My friend wasn't issued any tickets or charged with any crime. I know that it's one of the most difficult things he's ever had to deal with. He was beside himself with guilt for the longest time, and I know that not one winter has gone by that he doesn't think about it still. I always try to watch for pedestrians during a storm, and I'm always reminding my drivers to watch out as well. Little kids playing in snowbanks too... my biggest fear.

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

It was a dark and stormy night years ago. A old man snuck out of the oldage home I plowed, and headed off to the Legion for a few wobbly pops and headed back the same time I was heading out the lane after done plowing. I usually rip out of there pretty quick , but this time I took er easy and happened to see the old gent laying on the road , face all smashed and b leeding from falling. Thank God I seen him, cuz normally at that time of nite no ones around. I got the old man in the truck and headed back to the lobby to get him help.

14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

My back-up camera saved me a stupid university student once... I was backing up, have the salter on the truck so cant see nothing out the rear view and the stupid guy walking thru the parking lot was like a deer and just stopped right behind the truck waiting for me to hit him... That couple hundered $$$ I spent on the camera saved me his tuition.... Almost pushed the break pedel thru the floor...

15. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Last year a guy riding a ten speed in 3" of fresh snow at four in the morning came flying off a side street across 5 lanes right in front of my plow. Almost had a coronary on the spot.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm all for folks getting their daily exercise in - well other folks LOL - but you would think they could stay in a few mornings a year during a snow storm.

No doubt hitting someone would be the worst thing ever. I'm lucky that I plow in a rural area.

17. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I noticed more people walking down the streets during a snowstorm this season than any other year. I'm sure they are walking down the streets cause the sidewalks are still buried but I think alot less people are driving to wrok these days too. Be carefull out there.