1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why would ground wire melt?

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by kelpike, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kelpike

kelpike Junior Member

Please help, the insulation on the ground wire melted and the plow just stopped working. This is a tan wire thats attached to the body of the truck. I don't even see the wire listed in the diagram on the Curtis website. What could cause this to happen and where might this wire go? I never had any problems with this plow before.

2. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Wish I could help you out but I have no idea.

I also had a couple of wires fray and they were touching so I kept popping fuses. Another $100 spent at the dealer for what I should have been able to find and fix myself.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ground

well it might have burned the body ground ,because the plow ground went away and the plow was searching for a ground any were it could find one ,and it would not Handel the amperage , :)

4. kelpike

kelpike Junior Member

Can you please explain what you mean by the plow ground went away? And do you have any suggestions on a fix for my issue?

5. kelpike

kelpike Junior Member

I found that the larger grounding cable coming from the plow was also grounded to the body and probably wasn't the best connection. I ran a new cable to the battery. I also fixed the "fried" wire and ran that to the battery. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks to everyone who replied to this to help me out.