1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why work for National's?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32vld, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

There is a never ending list of horror stories working for nationals.

Endless complaint how the nationals have ruined the business with their low ball pricing.

Yet there are still people here that work for them still.

I do not understand how people work for the nationals.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I will not. :)

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Because if you play by their rules 9/10 you won't have problems. It depends on your area as well as to whether or not it is national dominated

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Without giving my personal opinion if I like or don't like,
    Many of the complaints relate to not following their rules and procedures.
    In my area, the numbers aren't that bad. You just need to take 10 pictures, 6 signature sheets, 4 door stickers and 12 phone call ins.
    Think of it this way: they sell, you don't! Otherwise, you sell and don't need/work for them.

5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I will not work for a national company. In November I was ask if I was interested in taking care of 2 Lowe's (just plowing) by a company that was hired by brickman to do them. I passed on the opportunity know the worst could happen when dealing with 2 other companies.

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

That brings up another point. Subbing for a sub. I have one I can't seem to shake. I will never do this again either. I did it as favor because they did not have any other accounts close. Next time I will just say I will take only if i work for the owner not as a sub.

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Why?

How about because they have every chain store, restaurant, bank and who knows what else.

8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Every time someone works for them they are kept in business. If you do not want them in business then do not work for them.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That is true

I cant say I wont since I just got a contact from them. They had to go with my price wasn't nobody else out there that would do the job.
    This time the little people won I hope LOL

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

But if you won't 10 other people will. Nat's are here to stay. Play by their rules you won't have a problem

11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Yup. And more keep popping up. Ferdinando just came into our area with walgreens. First time i've seen them in the MO.

I work for brickman and divisions. Brickman isn't bad, but lot of hoops. The pay for the lowes is actually good. Make $120/hr per truck of it. Divisions is awesome to work for. I've dealt with 5 nationals and they are the best. Plus they pay the best.

12. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't understand why 32vld cares? Do you or have you worked for them? They're like any other customer, if they don't like my price someone else will, pretty simple IMHO ........

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

There's another thread from today with the best answer that I think needs it's own sticky..

" snowbrothers101

Sometimes these threads crack me up. We shop at "nationals" like Home Depot or Best Buy, we eat at Nationals like Outback or Olive Garden, we buy are phone service from Nationals like Verizon or AT&T. Home Depot doesn't sell Johnny local's brand of mower. THey said a national distributor. Our plows our national brands. Bank of America uses a national from verything from real estate management to pest control to janitorial to snow and land. As does almost every other company. Energy management, HVAC, all the same.

It's like leaning out of your truck and shaking your fist screaming "screw the man". Our entire economy is built around this model. You can keep complaining but your fight is against the entire system of how we live, not some maintenance company that consolidated snow.

Happy New Year"

Page generated in 0.00929 seconds with 9 queries

14. daddy daniels'

daddy daniels' Member

I don't see where the sub can afford to pay you. Being a sub traditionally means a high wage and enough to cover expenses, and the contractor keeps the profits.

15. daddy daniels'

daddy daniels' Member

A person would want to work for a national if they have supurb administrative skills and understand that they are a sub, traditionally meaning that they are to make a high wage, receive enough to cover expenses and the contractor keeps the profits.

16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I actually have a few subs that work for me. They get paid $60 an hour. I bill $120. Works out dam good for me.

17. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Not mad at you but I have to point out that if you did not work for them they would lose that account. Enough accounts lost they are out of business.

You just saved their bacon.

If the nationals could not fulfill their contracts the big corps would stop doing business with them.

Think about this: if they met your price they are still making money.

This indicates that your prices are too low.

18. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I do not work for a national. Have not worked for a national.

One of the first things I read on PS are the members that start a thread on how they got hosed by a national. Then it draws posts where other peoples add to how that national hosed them as well. Along with if think that national was bad thank god you did not work for that other national.

Next message that was hammered home on PS was the threads about how low balling hurts the industry. Working for nationals brings down prices. Low balling.

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

False. Very false

Nationals have entire national chains. There will always be someone willing to step in.

Their prices are not the problem. People sceew up the paper work or can't follow simple instructions. That is the problem.

Heck one national we were for provides unlimited pusher boxes and ice melt

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Home depot has put their money where there mouth is. They bought land, built stores, hire employees. They are doing what mom and pop store does. Only on a larger scale.

Outback, Olive Garden same as Home Depot.

National maintenance companies, do not pay construction companies to build shops and yards and fill them with equipment and employees and send them out to service customers.

Home Depot, Outback, etc, do.

All the nationals do is get the full price for work to be performed. Pay their subcontractors way less then the historical prevailing rates.

Then on top of that the sub has to carry the insurance risk for slip and falls and let the national and the corps, and the owner of the malls, off the hook.