1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why won't they listen to me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danmc, Dec 30, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

We have a 98 GMC 2500 with a Meyer C7.5 four springer at work. When we raise the blade the front end drops about 4 inches, the A frame and mount are literally 2 inches off the ground and the thing bottoms out all the time. I suggested adding a couple hundred pounds of ballast or timbrens to keep the thing level. My boss looked at me like I was ******** and said he'd been plowing like this for years and "it doesn't need a thing". My boss is one of those people that doesn't do a damn thing, doesn't know how to do much, is a professional milker and has the mentality that his way is the best way.
    I'm tired of being treated like a four year old when I make suggestions about our equipment....
  2. mickman

mickman Senior Member

sounds like classic case of "MY WAY, OR THE HIWAY"
    you warned him. let it brake up and find employment where your opinon is
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just sounds like the typical supervisor. The only way to convince him is to show him. Even then, expect that he'll take credit for it.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

No biggy. Some people are just born morons and you really can't do anything to change that. In due time, perhaps the quadrant or frame will need some welding. Then, you can say. "Gee,..I wonder what caused THAT?"
    The thing about it is,...is look at it this way. This will put (probably good) money into a welders pocket that will help him and/or his family. No skin off your back. This is the type of guy that ends up saying things things like "$400, duh....I guess that's how much it costs, because it HAS to be fixed..."
  5. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

thin the herd!!!!!

Our problem is we save the stupid with signs and warnings like on the hair drier ( not to be used in the tub) Then they breed and we have to deal with the offspring like this. My recommendation is remove the tags and thin the herd!!!!! :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed. "Stupid hurts".
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Being stupid SHOULD hurt.

My guess is since this is a 98 it needs new torsion bars- they are typically worn out by plow trucks in 3 to 4 years anyway, but since your boss wan;t hear of anything it is a simple case of deal with it until it breaks then maybe (depends on the situation)an "I told you so" or simply find a new place of employment.

You can't reason with a stupid boss- either leave or get him fired for being incompetant- best bet is to leave.
  8. Robo

Robo Senior Member

:nod: :nod:
  9. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

At my job there is a clear policy for dealing with broken things..

1. my staff should tell me
    2. I tell the engineer.
    3. He makes a determination of wether it should be fixed, replaced, or left alone. (possibly consulting the owner)

Invariably, though... what happens is this.

1. My staff tells me.
    2. I tell engineer
    3. He fixes it, or doesn't fix it, at his discretion.

4. Eventually owner finds out its broken.
    5. Owner calls ME and wants to know why its not fixed.
    6. I tell him I told Engineer, but engineer hasn't done anything yet.
    7. Owner wants to know why I haven't taken care of it myself.
    8. I try to explain that I told the engineer, and I'm not SUPPOSED to do these things myself.
    9. Then I get a lecture that "people here need to take care of things"..."this is so simple, why can't it just get done?"....
    10. The broken thing remains broken, and I look bad in the owners eyes.

The alternative would be that I go "take the bull by the horns and fix it myself". but:

1. can't get approval for funding
    2. When I TRY, get the call from the owner wanting to know why the engineer isn't taking care of it.
    3. I tell him that I told the engineer about it.
    4. Get a lecture that the engineer is supposed to fix things, I should leave him alone.

Working for people like this is why people like us start small business. Like someone said. "If I'm going to work for an idiot, I should be the idiot"
  10. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Sounds like you work for a municipality like me :nod:
  11. danmc

danmc Member

Well, I work on an estate so things are a little weird to say the least...
    My boss is the heads groundskeeper - he's been working on this property for 35 years. First with the original owner, then with Princeton University when they owned it and now the current owners (for the past 4 years). The "second" in command has worked on the property for 20 years, we also have a part timer that has worked there for 15 years and there's me. I started in April. I pissed off my boss once because his favorite motto is there's always tons of work, we can catch up but never get ahead. I told him the reason why it's like that is because we are highly inefficient in almost everything we do. Picture this, every time we move materials whether it's top soil, wood, mulch branches, grass clippings, etc... we load it into the back of a pickup and unload it from the back of the pickup. Mind you, we back about 5 acres of grass - that's a lot of pitch forking...
    He needs to seriously petition for a mason dump or a dump insert at the least but he's too stupid to put together a plan for the owner that would show how the initial cost would be dwarfed by the wasted man hours it takes us to do the simplest job.
    Anyways, I would love to quit but I work 40 hrs a week, five days a week, have a pension plan and paid holidays/vacation and I make a half decent buck (I'm salaried at 30K). Eventually I'll get my own gig up and running but for now I'll have to put up with it I suppose....
  12. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Never try to teach a pig to sing.

It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They see it as we have the truck we have the shovels why spend money?
    We have slaves use them!
    Bosses never seem too really grasp the big picture from their view for some reason.
  14. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes, but, at least around the fire station where I work we have an alternate feeling in reference to stupid people. "Stupid people are job security." Think about it. Not just in Emergency service but in many other fields as well.

Stupid people drive their SUV's at 65mph in the snow thinking "I have 4wd" then procced to go off the road and get stuck. - Keeps the wrecker drivers and body shops (and Fire/EMS) busy.

Stupid people even try to use electric hair dryers in the shower. Without them the por guy making the stickers would be out of a job. :nod:
  15. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

DanMC, if you want to change things, it looks like there's only one way to do it. Take some time and see how many manhours it takes to do a specific chore, maybe one you do every week like shoveling the clippings in and out of the truck. Now figure it up by man hour and maybe some estimated hourly wages. Next figure out how much it will cost for renting a piece of equipment that will do the job, how long it will take (hopefully a LOT less), show that it will only take one or two instead of all three ($'s saved), then give a total of how much could be saved both in $'s and man hours. Just be prepared to find another job.

One way this can be seen is "Well, if we rent the equipment, we won't need 3, we can get by with 2.. (start Donald Trump Voice/) You're fired!! (/end Donald Trump Voice)..

But, there's another way they might look at it.. "Hmm, DanMC has some good ideas, he's cheaper (less $'s /hr), he's younger (works harder and longer), and he's smart (trying to save money, etc).."

Some people are just set in thier ways and you can't change them. Now, if the owner of the property had been there the entire 33 years, I'd be hesitant to say anything but, it looks like your present employers are relatively new. They might be looking at cost cutting options so as to improve things elsewhere..

Good luck in whichever way you go. One way, you'll be highly efficient, the other, you'll be that old guy in 35 years, still shoveling clippings into and out of a truck..
  16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict