1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Wings

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wsmm, Feb 22, 2009.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

Question regarding wings. I have never used them but noticed pictures on this site with wings that extended out from the main blade on an angle and ones that formed a 90 degree angle with the main blade similar to a box blade. What is the exact purpose for them and is one type better that the other? I only plow my own and brother in laws driveway. Mid Michigan location in the country, dirt, sand and or gravel in the driveways. Would thet be a good investment, I have power angle on a Meyers plow.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

They would definitely save you time. However, since you're not doing a lot of plowing the investment probably isn't worth it.

The reason that you see so many guys use them is because they work well for containing the snow rather than having it spill out the sides while it's being pushed.
  3. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Wings allow you to carry more snow with any kind of blade, for doing a few driveways its not worth spending $200.00. They help big time on parking lots where you have to clear a lot of snow or carry it a ways to pile it.Been running wings on all my straight blades. They do add to the over all legal width of a plow so watch out when running them down the state highway.Even at a angle they are oversize .They are made to take on and off when you leave a plowing area but most guys around here including me leave them on .
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I agree 100%