1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why use a Nationwide Company

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Racer 28S, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Racer 28S

Racer 28S Junior Member

Why do company's choose to go with a Nationwide Co. for their snow needs, there is no way a company based 3 states away can provide the service that a reputable local company can. These large companys should support the local guys that support them all year long. JMO
  2. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

You Have A Point

I think it's just the way BIG business is going, the lil man is held to working for less while the client pays more..
  3. GSE

GSE Senior Member

With big corporate America, it's all about the bottom line unfortunately. If big company A can provide big company B all of their maintenance needs for all 500 of their locations it's going to save them money, period.

The national service providers can supply a single point of contact, simple hands free electronic billing and lower monthly costs. This saves big company B by vastly reducing the amount of staff needed to manage contracts, find and monitor contractors and pay their bills.

Who's the ones that end up losing in the end? Us working stiffs who actually have the capital equipment, pay the GL, workers comp, payroll, commercial vehicle insurance, etc. We're also the ones that get named in a lawsuit when there's a slip and fall, or wait 90 days to get paid by the area management companies.

Personally, I don't even talk to them, it's not worth the headache. There's enough work out there locally, you just need to beat the streets and make it happen. We all need to stand up to the nationals and demand fair pricing or walk away from their work.

I know of some who have embraced the national providers and are very happy. The unfortunate part is I know of too many that contractors that have lost out since their inception.

I'm sorry to say that they aren't going away anytime soon.
  4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I agree 110% with the above poster.

Remember if your rubbed the wrong way as with any deal its just as easy to walk away.As said above there is plenty of work out there for all of us but the sad thing is there is always going to be a guy who will fall pray so the best way against these firms is through education and sites like this are the best way to start.

Its better to ask a stupid question now than not get paid in the end.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Simply - convenience. They only have to manage one account as opposed to how ever many locations they have.
  6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I love companies from Texas calling me for lawn maint or snow. Do they even get much snow down there? Do they have lawns? It is like a vegetarian butcher telling you what cut of beef you should be buying and how to cook it? Maybe they should let the meat eaters sell the steak, and let the snow plowers take care of the snow.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Some companies are finding out that it doesn't work the way it's supposed to though.

I've been plowing the local Checker's Auto Parts now for 7 years.

All 7 have been for a different management company each year except for 3 of the years, all in all, 5 different companies.

This year Checker's has taken over control again of getting their properties taken care of.

I was talking with the contact at Checkers, and they said it was too much of a hassle to get things taken care of, too many people to run through.

I've also done some subbing in the past, at chain-type places (Arby's, McD's, etc.) and know that some of those are now going back to local guys.

I won't sub for anyone anymore, it takes 45-80 days to get your money.

I tell everyone I see plowing these accounts that I know are subs, that you're not going to get your money, and tell them to tell the next guy.