1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why trash talk Meyers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dpildner, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

:waving: I just had a Meyers ez-mount xpress installed on my truck and it works just as promised. ( 11 secs on or off )

Every post I have read on these boards trash talks Meyers, noone says anything good about them.

They have improved their plows why not give them some credit?

Just my opinion.

Dave

:gunsfiring: Western , Fisher , Boss, Blizzard :gunsfiring:

Just kidding about other brands , if it pushes snow then it is a great plow.

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

From what I have seen they arnt as reliable. Plain and simple.

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You should read some more threads Dave.

I'm not defending or knocking Meyer plows, never used one. I have a Boss.
    But, I have seen more than a few Meyer's guys on PlowSite and they seem to be happy with their equipment. So there are some positives out there, you just have to find 'em. :nod:

4. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I am a meyer and fisher guy, both work fine. People sure do like to knock meyer though.

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I heard their hydraulics arnt dependable at all and they are very cheap. Come on man....You gotta love the real PLOWS!!!western boss fisher blizzard.......

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Your plow will do you just fine, it is a real plow.

Strictly my opinion: they are not as well built or as strong as plows from the competitors. I think they have improved but the older ones even the mid 90's, look like their moldboards are about as thick as a sheet of paper. I used one once with an E-47 pump all i can say is slow, slow and slower. I hear that relibility is poor compared to other brands. Their ez-mount system encourages leaving the headgear on the truck which is outdated. The ex-mount has got to be the ugliest out there (the two tubes), and is a PITA to carry the 50 LB headgear out to the truck, try to line it up with the tubes which is a pain then you got way too many wires to hook up. The two piece system is just a joke. The MDII mount is better as it can be a one piece unit, but they copied *some* of fishers ideas on the MDII mount. I can't speak for the express mount. Do you have any pictures of what is left on your truck when you dismount the plow?

Overall, I think meyers plows have improved quite a bit, i hear that the newer pumps are faster then the old. Their plows seem to be better built now then they were 6 or so years ago. But i still think they have some catching up to do. Maybe their newest line like you have is a major steap in the right direction.

Just My Opinion, there are people who have run nothing but meyers for years and like them.

7. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

You can substitute the word Meyers and replace it with a variety of words like Ford, Chevy, Smith & Wesson or Ruger, Honda or Suzuki... It's just the way people are. I'd bet if you'd just put a Western plow on your truck, you'd find tons of messages sayin Western plows suck too..

The nice thing is this: At least you have a choice here. and you also had a choice to be able to voice your opinions as well. A LOT of men and women have paid the ultimate price for you to have that choice so, this week, there's a holiday a lot of businesses don't really observe... Take a moment and thank a vet for the freedoms you have. Even if you are a vet, make it a point to thank one, just to get it started..

<-- Stumbling off the soap box now.

8. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

Meyers is a real plow.

Here is a picture of the front assembly on my plow. Meyers has totally redesigned the front push bar and the pivot assembly. Can you remove or reinstall in 11 secs?.

I repeat "Meyers is a real plow"

[​IMG]

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks nice, as i said it will serve you well. It is a real plow for sure. I can definately remove my curtis (by far the best mounting system) in under 11 seconds, if i hit the allignment right the first time when mounting i could also mount in 11 seconds. Iam not looking to break any records though, it takes me about a minuite to make sure everything is secure and the plow is redy to be operated safely.

10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I was brought up on Meyer plows.

If you took care of them, they reward you well for your investment.

The Husky/"C" series is a MUCH better built blade than the ST series. I don't know how they designate them now with the new mounts, etc.

The biggest problem with the hydraulics is the couplers and them allowing moisture/dirt to enter the system. In a sealed system, which is what many mfrs. are using today, the introduction of water/dirt is cut dramatically.

Lets see some detailed pics.

12. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

Here is a couple of pics.

Dave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

Also there are headlight guards that will be on as soon as I get them.

14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I look at it this way. If someone likes a particular brand of plow, that's their choice. This is a discussion forum, not a bash the other guys's brand of plow forum.

15. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

real plow

i have useed every one out there and yes meir is of all of them alittle less well build but if you like it and it works for you screw what anybody says . i personaly have gone to blizzard and will never go back toanything else as i am about twice as fast as my help and they have a boss v and a fisher neither is any comparison but thats my opion and i have been at this game for 30 ahem years. as far hook up it takes me about 15 secounds in a rush but i to take longer to check out all connections.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Wanna try using your SHIFT key, and slowing down while typing?

I got your drift, but it took me two times to read it.

17. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Also try using spell check. :nod: :rolleyes:

18. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

The mounting bracket that stays on truck has 2 rubber strips (vertical) that are strong enough to double as a push bar (Just my opinion, but are very strong).

Dave

19. smiti105

smiti105 Member

LOL, I know I am a rookie but looking at that Meyers on the Silverado makes my st90 look like a dinosaur. That plow looks as well built as any plow I have ever seen. I will be plowing in a CJ7 this year hoping the heater blower stays on. He will be in that silverado in shorts and a T-shirt complaining that it is too hot in the cab. If a plow pushes snow where I want it pushed thats all I need for me to say it works. How wide are shovels these days?

20. DJC

DJC Senior Member

:gunsfiring: Western , Fisher , Boss, Blizzard :gunsfiring:

Just kidding about other brands , if it pushes snow then it is a great plow.[/QUOTE]

I will put our 810 Blizzard up against your Meyers anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!1