1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why take duel wheels off?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turfmower, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Buy the right plow.
    You need a 8 1/2 foot to cover both wheels when fully angled all of my plow trucks are 3500 duellies.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Taking the inside duals off will increase traction. This is because the weight on the rear axle is spread over two wheels instead of four resulting in those tires getting a deeper bite. With four rear wheels, there is more of a tendency for them to "float" on top of the snow.

I ran DRW for two years, then left the inside wheels off this year. The increased performance is dramatic. I had had a problem with getting stuck if snow built up on the A frame. Now, it just pulls right out. Also, I had been getting a feeling of sliding on packed snow or ice. Taking the two tires off solved that, too.

The only problem now is that I'm hesitant to fill the two yard sander. I'm not sure of the payload capacity with only two rear wheels. Also, if I go any distance I'll put them back on as I've heard it's illegal to run only two rear wheels on truck designed for four.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why dont you run chains dpw and the state does never get stuck

4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey Mick,
    I keep 100 gal of mag chloride in my dually. At 11 lbs per gallon that is about 1400 lbs total including tank & skid. I run a mildly agressive Armstrong Norseman, and keep a set of chains for the outside duals. I am rarely stuck and I like the stability of the duals with the load. Ya gotta put weight in a dually for it to work right. If you take the inside wheel off you have reduced the safe load capacity significantly. Your spreader is plenty heavy, so I would start looking at tires. For sure get ya a pair of chains for the outside rear. Good Luck...;)

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I use a dually 2wd and if it gets nasty, we put chains on the outside wheel but then we leave the truck on one site. I can't deal with the noise and vibration on cleared pavement. It sound like alot of work to remove the wheels while compromising your load capacity. (I use the dually to salt). I would also check with my insurance co to see if removing the wheels would reduce their liability as YOU modified the vehicle in an unsafe manner.

6. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

funny i see a couple of guys running around her and they took the inside tire off i thought they where being cheap:D

7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

When you guys use the term Dually are you reffering to a Dually pickup or a Dual wheel cab and chassis.The Dually pickups rear axle is alot wider than a c/c.You can get away with an 8 footer on a c/c but need a 9 footer for a Dually pickup.PS the term Dually came from GM in 73 when the first Dual wheel pickups came out .Chevy and GMC called them "Big Dually" now it seams everthing with dual wheels is being called a dually.

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I'm referring to a C3500, regular cab, masons dump bed. Sorry I'm not the motorhead I once was. But it will push snow like crazy with a ton of salt in the spreader. If only the drivers door hinges wouldn't break off every couple years....

9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

both of my plow trucks you need 8 1/2 foot plow

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Tuna -
    Dually pickups are not any wider than a c/c. I have both and they are the same width. I've never even heard of such a thing.

11. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

another guy i know has a dodge duly an he took off the outer wheel and wheel wells and it looked like a reg truck

12. hoagie

hoagie Member

Yeah dood... cab chassis and pickup axles are identical.

(Doolie dat is)

13. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Pickups and Chassis cabs are the same. You can take bed off a CC dually pickup to get the 4 door dump.

and

The wheels would not sit right if you took off the inside wheels as the rims are off set. the Wt of the truck would be off the center of the hubs. You would have to get a regular pickup rim for it to work.

14. ttyR2

ttyR2 Junior Member

Dually wheels also have a rather large offset, and if you pull the inside rims off, wouldn't you put a fairly large bending load on the rear spindles (assuming full floater axles)?

15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Are we talking 2wd or 4wd duallies?
    Thanks,
    Eric

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if it STILL holds true, but on 1973-1989 GM's, they were different!

The Chassis cab and Duallies definately had different width axles. Quite different, and I beleive they are still that way today!

The rear track width of a Dually pickup bed was 92.5" (outside rear tire to outside rear tire)

The rear track width of a Dual Rear Wheel CHASSIS CAB was 81.3" (outside rear tire to outside rear tire)

Thats ALMOST a FOOT difference in track width!

Anyone care to post actual GM, Ford or Dodge measurements for TODAY's trucks? As I'm interested in finding out if this still holds true.

17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Like TLS said a dually pickup rear end is much wider than a c/c.Havent you guys ever seen a c/c that someone put a pickup be on ,the wheels fit under the bed with no big fender flairs.This is true of Fords ,Dodges or GM.They are built that way for stability with a big slide on camper, or a 5th wheel.A dually pickup uses the same width rear axle as a cube van which is much wider.

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Leave your dual wheels on its like having 4 wheels driving and guys that have 4 wheel drive its like 6 wheel drive

19. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

It the gas station I go to there is a Crew cab dump. It rear is same width as mine GMC doesn't't make a crew cab chassis.

I looked at the gm site pickup is wider because the mesure to out side fender and on a chassis the only measer to the out side tired becuse gm doesn't have the body demention that you might put on it

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004
  20. tuna

tuna Senior Member

If its the same then that truck was a dually pickup with the bed removed and a dump put in its place.If a pickup is not wider than why do they have those big flares on them.Trust me a Dually pickup with the big fiberglass fenders is @ 6 inches wider on each side than a c/c.On the 73-87 GMs the frame is even narrower on a c/c than a pickup.I know this becuase in 1987 I had an 85 C10 that I cut the rear axle out of with the intent of converting the truck to a dually.I got a 77 C30 c/c for a donor truck and when I went to put the rear axle in my pickup I got a quick lesson in GM trucks the axle was so narrow that the drums would not even clear the leaf springs and I had allready sold my 1/2 ton axle so I had to go cut a rear axle out of an old Chevy van to get my truck rolling again and even on that i had to cut the perches of and relocate them.Take a closer look at a dually pickup next time you see one and you will be shocked at how wide the axle is.