1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why such differences in prices for equipment in NJ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Here are a few examples..

9'2" V XT Boss plow, LAST YEAR $5900 local plus tax picked up, i install it
    i see them online $5,100~ but in various other states?

I see Salt Dogg 2yd poly box salt hopper all elec spreaders $3000-3200....
    Go into my more local NJ dealer... they have the exact model in the back of a dump body f550 truck.... i ask him how much, he first says 6k+ lol. I said are you sure? ive seen them in the 3k range online already.

He checks the computer with that serial #.. comes back $4,399.00 WTF?

For $6200 i can buy two and they want over $4600 after tax :/

I mean im all for supporting our local dealers.. but even the Boss dealers for plows locally suck for price, theyre always many hundreds higher... even for tailgate spreaders i was quoted over $2k for the tgs1100s that we run that we normally pay $1600 for :(

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

It's the NYC virus...........manufacturers and their dealers in NJ, especially those near NY and afluent NJ counties play the numbers game.......Kinda like buying a car.

3. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I suppose that's true for alot of things. I mean a retail price just comes down to the wholesale + markup. With the markup being dependant on the retailer's overhead and such. So different retailers will have different prices

A few years ago I was in the market for a dump trailer. I shopped around at the local places, and got prices between $5500 and 8300 for similar equipment. But I finally ended up going out of state, and found a price of $4000.

I'm all up for supporting the local guy too, but for large purchases like this, if I can save $1k by going somewhere else, I will in a heartbeat.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah same here.. we just bought a 34' gooseneck 14k equipment trailer, all decked out with side stake pockets, rails for our fork lift attachment, extra wheel/tire mounted up, 12" side rail beams and 16" up front, dot tape down both sides and back.. was in the area of $5400 lol. I had prices in NJ LAST YEAR for the same trailer well over 10k

I looked at trailers that were the same weight, 14k rating and only 24' open deck for $8699, a deckover in a 30' for $9999 like theyre retarted in thinking the shipping from the southern states to NJ warrants them almost 100% markup with profit margins :/

5. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

that's really what my experience was too. I live in MA, I drove down to MD to get my trailer. Even with gas, tolls, an overnight in a motel, and food it was still cheaper than buying it up here. With my Enclosed trailer as well, I drove out to IN to pick that up.

I find that in much of the northeast everything is more expensive. i almost always buy big purchases out of state or used.