1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why so much?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by CM's, Dec 12, 2010.

1. CM's

CM's Junior Member
    from Midwest

I've been looking at different lighting options for my trucks and machines, and the costs to outfit a fleet with some of the lights you guys are running is huge. I'm wondering why everyone spends so much money on these lights, besides that they look cool. Is it that most of you have 1 or 2 machines so the total isn't that much?

From what I can tell the average total bill for a truck is about $850 to have it decked out. That's about 9 or so hours of work just to pay for the lights on your trucks?? If you have a lot of machines that would be a huge cost. I just don't see it. All I have on my stuff is a single on top of the cab strobe. Am I crazy here?

Set me straight here if I am missing something.

2. elecblu

elecblu Member

I am with you CM. I will agree that they look nice but can not justify the expense either. I just have a simple home made back rack with a strobe on each edge of it instead of a one cab mount.
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Start out small and work your way up one light at a time, I have new & used lights on my truck and took about 3 year and about $350 in cost,
    Try pawn shops and ebay also watch for sales on lights in the spring whan stores want to dump last years models.JMO
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

the key is you want to be seen. if someone runs into you because they couldn't see you it will probably be your fault

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yes the key is you want to be seen, but a lot of people don't care about you or anyone else on the road. If they are on a mission to go somewhere nothing is going to stop them. No matter how many flashing lights you have on your truck. I think a lot of it also has to do with ego too. Which is fine too. I think they look cool and don't mind spending a few bucks on them if I can get a good deal on them. It pays to shop about. A lot of places will honor a competetors price if you can prove it.
  6. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I make enought Coin and not being married or kids to support I feel if I want to spurge on alot of light's to be seen or show off. Most of my lights I shopped around on E bay or elsewhere. If I were too of purchased all the lights I have thru a dealer's I figure the cost would of been in excess of $2200.00 and so far I have spent less than $1100.00. I am not into just snow removal and I have different lights for different applications
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

A lot of people forget too many lights can cause issues and increase the rate of having an accident. The one strobe on the roof will work fine, Just make sure its bright enough that it will bounce off the trees around you. I am not sure how many watts they are I want to say about 25w but it does the trick.

And to the guys that have a lot of lights, to each their own I mean no disrespect just facts are facts, lots of guys make it into a hobby.
  8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sound like the start of the Safety or Ego talk all over again!
    Buy what you want and enjoy using them, It's your truck!
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have about 400 per truck in extra lights. All truck have a set of 25 dollar clear fog lights on the rear bumper wired into a relay for back up lights. All trucks have a 150 dollar set of hide away strobe in the corners. 2 of my trucks have used 275 dollar full size light bars, and the other 2 have dual halogen rotaters. Then to top it all off I have another set of 25 dollar clear fog lights mounted on my spreaders, and rear plow as work lights. I can be seen from far away, in my lots, and once I am on the road driving from one lot to another all extra lights are switched off. I feel that is plenty for me, and about twice as much as any of my competiters.
  10. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

its your truck and money, do what ever you want.. remember your allowed to.....

Im another one of "THOSE PEOPLE" with alot of lights... Ya you know the ones that are frowned upon around here lately....:laughing:

Everyone has their own thing they spend money on there personal vehicles.
    either rims, lights, stereo, custom paint, etc..... its what they like and what they enjoy. i see nothing wrong with any of it,,,

Carry on......:rolleyes:
  11. CM's

CM's Junior Member
    from Midwest

Fair enough, I read through a little of that other thread last night. I see that most of you that were "pro" lighting up the night as you say run 1-2 truck operations. I agree that it looks cool, it just doesn't make financial sense for a larger company to spend that kind of money on lights for machines.
  12. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I agree. if you have multiple trucks, equipment, etc.. I can be very expensive...

Im a one man show ( For now) so its only one truck , one plow and one sander,
    With a ton of lights.......:redbounce
  13. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Lots of lights also can get you more flag down jobs, if you're plowing residential.

I'm also backing out into the road, in a rural area, which has a 55 mph speed limit.
  14. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Our entire fleet uses nothing more than a single Star strobe mini-bar on each vehicle. For about a hundred bucks a pop, they work just fine.
  15. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Thats it exactly, I have one truck to deal with and I like old school with lots of light. If I had to deal with more then that I would rethink how much and far to go. but I don't have to and I enjoy finding old lights to rehab and
    make use of, like the set of Kawasaki turn signals I found, rehabed them and installed them with a flasher just to add some amber to the lower half of my truck, looks cool,
    So buy them and enjoy them, it's your truck
  16. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I like the old Federal Signal Street Hawk. I have one on my Jeep for Fire Dept use, and one on the GMC 2500 that I plow with. Bought both on ebay.

Both are 48" all light units, with blue outer domes and amber center dome. I also have blue and amber base flashers in both, which are mostly for working car crashes on bright sunny days.

In my opinion, it doesn't take a lot of light to stand out at night but on a bright sunny day, it takes more light to get attention. One of the reasons for that is when it's nasty out, people pay more attention that when it's nice and they drive with their head up their a$$!
  17. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

If you can do the install your self the I think the best way to light up a fleet on a buck would be a small $100 roof light bar and a $150 hide-away kit, and Lowes has 55watt tractor lights that work well for back up lamps ($12 each) so put one truck to work for 4-5 hrs top for one afternoon andyou have paid for your complete lighting for many yrs.

Me my self I have probably spent close to $1500 on lighting, but I never run all lights at the same time.

I don't see the use of grill lights, your plow for the most part hides them. I put my effort on the top of my truck and the back, the a$$ end of my truck see's the most time in the road.

I also love my new leds mounted on the side of my tool truck box!
    Good luck! :)
  18. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

the lights I spend my money on, are just for visibility. We have lights mounted under the bumper for the back, and the salter, then we also have the rotators on the top, and I also have a back rack with two spot lights aiming forward. Gives a lot more light especially on roads we plow.
  19. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I think to many lights will distract the drivers on the road these days besides some states have laws about who and when you can have these light on your truck, so check local laws, but I do agree you should have at least one
  20. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

We did a fleet of 25 trucks last year for a company and did a very simple but effective setup that did not break the bank. We did a good quality LED minibar and a pair of good quality LEDs on the rear of the vehicles. The top bar gives 360 degree output and the rear LEDs added extra warning when backing up (when we are told most accidents happen). On the dump body trucks we removed the rear leds from the minibars and used those in the rear saving the customer money. An install like this is very simple and most vehicles we completed in an hour to hour and a half.