1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why so many lights in the front?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Hubjeep, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I see many plow vehicles that are quite light heavy in the front (headlight, grille strobes, etc). Do you try to pull people over?? Rear and side is my priority for backing out into a road and reducing the chance of being rear-ended when pulled over on the side of the road.

IMO, the plow headlights do a fine job at making the front of the vehicle visible. I only have a small amber windshield LED facing forward.

2. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Because to them it looks cool and they like it. And a snowstorm is one of the few times a year they can drive around with it all blazing without getting stopped.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

X2

I have 2 amber LED's in front for when I am plowing a road. Otherwise they are off because I can't stand the flashback.

In Illinois it is supposed to be illegal to run white strobes but like the weight restriction laws it is selectively enforced,

4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

You dont need your lights all a flashing when your inbetween jobs in a truck. Its like a tow truck operator on a flatbed having lights on his truck while travelling with a car on the back. Well in that case all 18 wheelers should have lights on cuz they got a load on the back. They are just in the Hey Look at me Im Snowplowing stage. Give em time theyll grow out of it.

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

procut1 is right I think. Heck I know when I'm on site I got all lights a blazing. It comes in handy once in a while. I only have my back-up buddy strobe on while I drive. I also dont have any front strobes at all(my rotater and headlights are good enough) I will say if I had front strobes I would use them while I was on site. I like flashing like a airport while I'm on site;)

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The only time I use any of my warning lights is when I am on site. I think you look ******** driving down the road with caution lights on, and nothing happening other than driving.

7. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

here in jersey any time a tow truck has a car on the hook or flat bed they are suppose to have at least theit hazards on.

8. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I think some drivers today get to distracted looking at all the lights instead of paying attention to the road, too many lights are not good, and you shouldnt have them on while driving down the road while not plowing, your vehicle lights are enough to keep the liability down

9. muzicmon101

muzicmon101 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I only have the Whelen 2012 Rapid Fire Strobe Beacon and 2 flood lights on the bumper. I keep them on from the time I start plowing until the time I stop but all of my driveways, business are pretty much within 100 feet of each other. It takes me less than 1 minute to get to another driveway or business. I just don't want to over work the switches. Durring really bad storms, I put my 4 ways on, and the strobe because my headlights are really crappy even on full beam. Plus here in Vermont the out-of-staters with their 4WD think that since they have 4WD they can still go 60. 1 strobe is all I need, I don't plow with the 4 ways on though unless I am doing apartment complexes. I don't know if anyone has seen the 2012 in action but I am really impressed with it. Flash back from the snow flying off the plow or coming down from the sky is a pain but no complaints.

I also run my strobe during the summer time to because it is a caution/warning light. Any time I am working on the side of the road, or I am hauling a 20 foot loaded hay wagon, I want people to go slow when they are around me. Especially when I'm pulled off on the side of the road.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

It's not about that, it's about getting the attention of cars even while on the road.

How well do you think a 1 ton stops/turns with a plow hanging off the front and a full v-box in the rear? Especially in snow...

The main reason I leave them on while driving... Oncoming plow truck drivers know there is another plow truck coming. We can give each other more space that way, as we take up a wider swath of roadway with the plow on the front. I'd rather not tag plows with some guy going the other way....

I can live with your "not grown up" label, while continuing to drive with the warning lights on.

11. mferrari

mferrari Member

8ft blade plus wings brings my blade to 10' 1" wide. I run with the lights on to and from jobs because I am so wide and it helps to give notice to drivers in front or coming up behind me. It also helps with those people that feel the need to drive 2 mph if it is barely snowing, they see the lights and big blade and normally move over. Thumbs Up

I have a 12" LED dash light, mini pinnacle up top, two 12" lights in the rear window. If visiblity is really bad or someone is extra close I have a light that mounts on the visor I will flip down.

12. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

I'm going with the "look at me, look at me" cause. And I just saw a story frro Maine over the last week that they were going to be cracking down on it.
    Additonally, to Mferrari, I wanted to caution you on your overwidth rational there. I posted these stories a couple of years ago and they might interest you.

WOONSOCKET -- When Raymond Boucher came home from work, he would go check on his father. He’d do the same before he went to sleep.

“He was an angel,” his father, Raymond Boucher Sr. said.
    This morning, 48-year-old Raymond Boucher died after being struck by a snow plow driven by a private contractor on Cumberland Street near Cass Avenue.
    Boucher was on his way to work at the nearby CVS warehouse, walking in the streets because the sidewalks were icy.
    According to Maj. Richard Dubios of the Woonsocket police, sidewalks near schools take priority for plowing over other areas. Woonsocket Middle School is located a short distance to the west on Park Place.
    The driver and owner of the truck, Krrzysztof Mirga, called the police and cooperated fully, Dubios said. He was cited for violations including violations of plow blade length and weight restrictions. He was not being contracted by the city.
    Boucher, who ran track in the Special Olympics, lived in the same apartment building with his father and had worked at the CVS distribution center for nearly 30 years.
    A statement from the company said Boucher was “a valued member of the CVS team and he was respected and well-liked by his colleagues. We extend our sincere condolences to Raymond’s family.”
    Mayor Susan Menard was not available for comment.
    -- with reports from Journal staff writer Tatiana Pina

In the Woonsocket accident Wednesday Merga’s dump truck plow was listed as owned by K&K Masonry and was setup to do private plowing and sanding, according to Dubois.
    Because of the vehicle’s size and equipment, Dubois said police contacted the State Police commercial enforcement unit to conduct an inspection of the truck.
    The vehicle was found to exceed the 8-foot wide plow limit by two feet and the truck’s load the weight limit by 400 pounds.The truck had an attached sanding unit as well as a cargo of sand when the accident occurred, Dubois noted.
    Although two commercial truck infractions were found, Dubois said it not been determined Wednesday if plow length and weight differences were factors in the accident.
    Boucher was struck by the outlying corner of the plow but Dubois said it was not known if the added length contributed to the accident.

Just thought you guys might want to see this.

13. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Although two commercial truck infractions were found, Dubois said it not been determined Wednesday if plow length and weight differences were factors in the accident.
    Boucher was struck by the outlying corner of the plow but Dubois said it was not known if the added length contributed to the accident.

Might want to bold that part too.

And the part where the guy was walking on the street....

You're correct. I want cars and pedestrians to see me, because I don't have the best visibility out of my truck at times.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I have a dash light mounted to my windshield, and I have a set of hide away led's that will be going into the plow headlights. Why? Because every instance is different. When I clear my mothers driveway I have to be facing the wrong way on a small narrow one way street, at the end of a blind corner. I want to have as much light as possible at that point so someone will know theyre coming up on something.

In the back window I have a 6 head led bar, and will be putting led hide aways in the tail lights. The extra lights in the back window are for when Im clearing the entrance and exits of the parking lots I plow on a busy highway, and I want more light high in the rear. When Im just in the lot with cars around, I'll run the corner lights. But when Im in riskier situations, I dont want to trust the visibility of the corner lights which are pretty low for traffic visibility.

Running with the lights on from site to site is stupid. Ive driven every kind of tow truck, from 1 ton pickup chassis' to 50 Ton class 8 wreckers, and when I would run at night I often wouldnt run with the strobes on just going down the road, even though I was technicially supposed to be. They annoyed me, never mind everyone else on the road with me.

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Good point, that makes sense.

16. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

You have eyes and common sense, why not try using it. If you are not employed to be working on a roadway with your equipment, you have no need to use your lights. Sorry dude but all I read is excuses and not valid and or legal reasons.

17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I never use my fronts as there is to much flashback plus the lightbar on top takes care of the front and and I only turn on my taillight strobes when I know I am backing up around a blind corner, and 95% I turn them off when I leave a site. The exception is when I forget sometimes.

18. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

:confused: i really thought this was the plow guy "high five"....i mean i have been slapping plows with all the guys i drive by for a long time..:salute:

This is not a good thing to be doing??:confused::mad:

19. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I just used the ''LIKE'' button. lol

20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone who doesn't KNOW the extra length was a huge contributing factor is pretty freakin soft. It's like saying you're not sure smoking caused the cancer. No sh*t sherlock... nothing is 100%, but the preponderance of evidence is enough to suggest with overwhelming certainty.