1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why rear plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Heron Cove PM, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

I don't plow driveways; I refuse to touch them. I see a lot of people here use them. Is that what you use them for, driveways? I can't see where they would help in a commercial setting like the malls we work for.
  2. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

herion cove pm
    I just clicked on your fire house link.it took my breath away hard to believe 2 year have past already
  3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Driveways are the best use for them, but any dead end application they shine in also. If you have loading docks to clear, they are great. I can understand you not needing them. They would be good for pulling out spaces by cars. I use mine on commercial properties to move more snow. I windrow, then drop the back plow on it and pull it till it fills then use the front plow. Does make the truck longer though.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have tight spaces and driveways with garages in front im thinking about adding one
  5. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Well, we are getting away from trucks. With what we can do with loaders and skid steers with boxes on them trucks are no longer as efficient. I can send a skid steer in to the loading docks and spaces. If there is a lot of cars blocking spaces they don't get touched. Way too much liability there; people don't care about us plowing they are way more important than us removing the snow. We also get in early enough to get enough ample parking opened up so we don't really have to contend with cars or leaving spaces uncleared. All the trucks do any more is create wind rows for the loaders with the boxes to clean up. It's great they work for you. But I have never seen them in the Mid Atlantic states. As I said before we don't do a lot where we have that many dead ends. Thanks
  6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Heron Cove- We have a lot of condos and residentials we use them for, but for the big jobs we do what you do- windrow with the truck and let the pusher box get it. This is our first year with the pusher (12 ft Monroe SnowBully) and I think we'll be using the trucks much less as well.
  7. apkole

apkole Member

"Back blades" as they are called in West Michigan have been used for at least since the early 70's, maybe longer. The latest designs have a blade that telescopes from 8' out to 16'. I heard of one the other day at 22'. Another basic design has the sideplates of the plow swing out on a hinge to expand the width from 8' out to 14' or more, depending on the size of the sidewing. Most of these systems use double action cylinders which allows downpressure. Some systems use pressure compensation to adjust the amount of downforce. Some systems use four arm and cylinder lift, others use a 2 arm and cylinder lift. Many different designs over the years. Some systems insert into an existing hitch receiver on the truck. Some pin to a custom built bumper. Some have hoses running the length of the truck from an under hood hydraulic pump/valve body to the cylinder at the back of the truck. Some of the pump/'valve body systems are housed in a portable box which also has a Honda or other small gas engine running the pump. Some use an electric motor/pump/valvebody assy. attached to the back blade assy. Lots of options. Some are proven systems (over 20 years) some are still being developed. Lots of choices.

I use back blades (8', fixed width) for all of my driveway and commercial trucks. Two swipes out to the street, move the pile to the easement or curb with the front blade and on to the next one. About 2 minutes a drive, give or take. I've clocked some of the speedier guys at 45 seconds. Don't know how many doors they've hit though. Expandable back blades best used in condo situations (pull two adjoining drives, one swipe) or in commecial apps. ( pulling loading docks, etc.) I feel lost (like having the use of only one arm) without a back blade on my truck.

8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

We use our backblades all the time, commercial parking lots, driveways, between parked cars, long straight runs, wherever..

The amount of snow you pick up with a back blade is unbelievable.. Even driving forward with your front blade down.. The back blade still gets more snow. That's WITH steel edges on the front. Our blades are a little wider than our plows so they pick up spillage and in turns, they are awesome for spillage.

I've only backdragged with my front blade maybe 3 or 4 times this whole season, just to see what the results would be..

When you run a back blade, it gets the pavement so much more cleaner than a front blade alone.

I get comments often about how our parking lots are so much cleaner than others.. It's all because of the backblade as far as I'm concerned..

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

apkole, who manufactures the expandable back blades??:D
  10. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

Yeah where do you find one of those expanding back blades. Would like to get one of those for sure.
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The backblades are used for driveways and anywhere else where backdragging is needed.

Nice link for the fire engine!:salute: :salute:
  12. apkole

apkole Member

Expandable back blades are being built by a number of companies here in Grand Rapids. Try Ebling & Son or B&B Truck Equipment. I've used Ebling exclusively for my back blades. They are over engineered, are pretty much trouble free and stand up to snowplowing abuse. B&B system was developed by a snowplower who used it a few years before passing it on. I believe you can get a 14' or 16' expandable system from them. Takes a heavy truck to handle it though. May want to use at least a one ton chassis, F450 or F550.

Hope this helps.

13. 04superduty

apkile, do you know of thier numbers?? Im down here in Otsego, so its not that far of a drive.
  14. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have plowed with a rear plow. It works very well. Cleans down to the pavement. Most use is on a driveway but it does have other places. It works great around turns. Small Parking lots were the snow has to be removed from one side and parsed to the other side ( 1 aisle). I used a Daniels pull plow. I like it because it is simple and small. Only sticks back about 20 inches and you can still lift a snow blower off our truck. We mounted the salt spreader up high in the bed and we were able to still use it. It is not some think that I would put on every truck, but any that did a lot of small parking lots or driveways.
  15. apkole

apkole Member

Yeah, ok. Ebling is 616-532-8400. B&B would be 616-878-1120.

16. 04superduty

thank you apkole. For some reason Grand Rapids being in a different area code makes it harder to get number through nextel 411.

POWER STROKE 1 Junior Member

B&B makes the expandable rear blades Try calling Kubota of west michigan I bet you ll get a better price from them thats where I bought my blades Blizzard 810 and rear better prices than b&b and their b&b rear blades go figure...................04Superduty if your going to checkout b7b stop in at kubota it right on your way to b7b just as you get off 131 on 100th st exit
  18. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I could see where backblades could speed up the process of doing loading docks, especially the steep ones. I would think it could cut the time by almost half.