1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why oh why...

Discussion in 'Weather' started by forbidden, Dec 26, 2010.

1. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Here I sit in sunny above zero C Calgary waiting for snow. Nada, zip, zilch, zero. Where I move from 4 months ago.... they have had 3 meters (close to 10feet for you US boys) in 3 days. It may be on the skihill 30 minutes from town but to have that contract would sure be nice. They have had to close the resort before due to too much snow, 19' in one night for example some years back, at least 1998 from what I recall. Down in the city where I came from though, totally different weather situation. Being right on the ocean, you need a canoe to get around if the wind does not blow you away.... don't miss that part at all.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101225/record-snow-at-vancouver-island-hill-101225/

Now the eastern seaboard is getting labelled, Mother Nature, you have some explaining to do. Send me snow, is that too much to ask?

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i don't know about Calgary, but in Lethbridge they are calling for 5-10cm Wednesday on the Weather Network, and Environment Canada is saying we may see snow over Wednesday and Thursday. Actually I thought November was a rather busy month.

3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

November was indeed far busier. December has been a make work kind of month. Finding iced over parking lots has led to 20 hours of bobcat time in the last week. Now to find some more. EC called for 15 cm here on Wed as well, alas, welcome to Calgary, don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes.

4. buckwheat_la

already down graded to 5 cm of snow, still enough to do some work though

5. buckwheat_la

did you get any of this snowfall that lethbridge is getting? we actually had a pretty good 15cm on the ground in places

6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We did get some of that snowfall, ended up with about 10cm to 15cm. Enough to plow out the couple of small commercial properties I have and the rest of the day was all residentials all over Calgary / Okotoks.

7. buckwheat_la

LOL, i bet you are wishing you hadn't complained now!!! I don't know about Calgary, but we have a real mess developing in Lethbridge, and if you are in Medicine Hat, you are totally screwed

8. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Completely screwed here today. I did not even get half my route done and I could not keep up with the snow that was coming down. Down a tire on the bobcat today, no tire stores open and of course no tools or jack with me... home I go... tire off, Fountain guy comes in and back in service. 2 hour delay. The residential complex I was in has so much snow in it that I have very few places left to stack it in now. Did not get to my normal Calgary route at all and now the morning is going to be a fun start at 5am.... have to leave my bobcat with one of my young guys and hope for the best.....

At least my wife got her route done, took her son and one worker with her and they should be home soon. News has people stranded in their cars for over 20 hours! Unreal out here, I can only imagine how bad you are getting labelled down south.

9. buckwheat_la

It's bad down here, all my equipment is way over due for a service. I was short on hand crews, so I joined with one, OMG I need to give my guys a nice bonus because this was sh!tty work. A couple of 14 hour days on the business end of a shovel sure kicks your butt. By tomorrow sometime we should be all caught up

10. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I am now caught up. 2am to 10pm and got it all done. I did not even make it out of town yesterday! Calgary not much snow. Dewinton and Okotoks got creamed. I had all my guys running today and another 2 ready to start.

11. buckwheat_la

Good job, my friend. This snow fall was not a fun one, we well be skidding stuff out for a week.

12. buckwheat_la

One of my guys was in Medicine Hat this week, apparently they look like Winipeg there.

13. buckwheat_la

Arent we happy we aren't in Ontario right now!!! I wonder if they are getting it any worse then we got it last week?

14. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I wish I was in Ontario right about now..... This 2 days of work and then a dry spell is a killer. I hate not working.

15. buckwheat_la

How much snow did u get up there? We had a fair bit, 20cm or so. Looks like some this weekend too.

16. buckwheat_la

Do u do anything when not snow plowing?

17. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We had close to 25cm of snow, not much for drifts this time around. Not many places left to stash snow in the condo complex's that we work on and they do not ideally want to pay for removal but that may become a necessity for them.

We purchased an already successful business from my brother in law. He did snow removal only in the winter, laying his staff off and paying them cash as they were called in.

What else do I do? I have many hats that I can wear. Previously I owned a car audio shop for the last 15 years and worked for other for 5 years before that. I can do all sorts of 12volt wiring from lights, audio, alarms, remote starters, heated seats, heated mirrors, backup camera's, backup sensors etc..I hold a Aux. Constable certificate with the RCMP. I was recruited to work at the 2010 Olympics at the last possible second and was given the US Ski Team as my asset to protect for the duration of the Olympics, being made the supervisor upon hiring. I was the head doorman at a busy bar for three years amongst other things. I am capable of doing all sorts of construction type of work as well. If I can learn it, I can do it. I am trying to find other uses for the equipment and employees at this time. I decided not to lay off the employees and give them an advance every two weeks whether they work or not. It goes against their future earning this summer season. Good for them, a risk for me but it keeps them here and working for me at a moments notice.

What I am looking at is firewood delivery. A investment in a cutter/splitter that can mount on the back of our tractor and operate off the PTO would turn another piece of equipment into a money maker. Currently it operates only in the summer with a rough mower deck on the back. We have a large dump trailer for delivery as well as a 1 ton dumptruck. We have the staff as well. All I need is a supply of wood by the logging truck load and develop a market starting with my existing customer base and we go from there.

Other than that, I am at home working in the shop on equipment, cleaning stuff up from the move out here in August and generally driving my wife nuts. I know she prefers me out and working and not at home here.

18. buckwheat_la

It isn't looking good for tonight/tomorrow, 30-50cm which is going to suck, but + temp and blowing are going to be worse later this week.

19. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We were slated for 20cm last night.... nada.... slated for 15-20 today until tomorrow morning. Not much to keep me busy.

20. buckwheat_la

How did u make out with this last snow fall?